Low maintenance evergreen foundation plant?

Susan Miller512181Bulldog
+5

We are just finishing construction on our new home and will soon be adding plants. What is a good evergreen foundation plant that doesn't get too large, and maintains its shape without having to be trimmed/pruned. We don't want tall bushes - maybe 3' or so in height. At my last house we had Indian Hawthorne and Box Woods. The Indian Hawthorne was better about holding its shape, but they both still needed regular shaping. I live and work away from home M-F and don't want to spend my weekends doing yard work! Thank you!

All shrubs need maintenance.what is your location and lighting?
  • Susan Miller

Hi, we're in east central Alabama. The front of the house faces south. Thanks.
  • Q.k9003237

Weigellas are beautiful and there are varieties that are smaller. I dont know if hydrangeas grow in your zone but there are many to chose from and they need very little maintenance but the rewards are huge with blooms and foliage.
  • Susan Miller

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Yes, hydrangeas do well in our area. I will also definitely look in to those weigellas. Thank you!
  • Bulldog

Hydrangias work well or go to your local nursery and see what they suggest for your area I know the people at the nurserys around here are very helpful
  • Susan Miller

Thank you!
  • 512181

I love a combination of dwarf boxwoods, pygmy barberry and the lime green colored dwarf spirea. Mix that in with purples and blues in the ground cover. The green, burgundy, and lime look very pretty mixed together.
  • Susan Miller

Sounds lovely, thanks Lynda! I'll research all of these. We don't want the plantings to block the house , so I like the idea of dwarfs and pygmys! Thank you!