How do I get day lilies to bloom. Also Iris's. No blooms this year.

Carol S.512181Bulldog
+5

Most likely there is an over crowding. You will have to divide them,however it should not be done until early fall or early spring when they start to emerge,
  • Adluv41

Yes I agree they stop blooming when they need thinning.
  • Sparkles

iris need to be planted shallow. Leave part of the rhizome showing above ground.
    make sure the daylilies are getting plenty of sun. they do not like being under trees.
    both types of flowers should be thinned out every 3 - 5 years.
  • Sandie rock

I used Triple 10 fertilizer and they bloomed the next year, I was told to wait until the leaves turned brown to cut them off and it has worked every year since. The Triple 10 gives them a bigger hardier bloom also.
  • Cori Widen

Have you done any thinning? Like Sparkles said, they should be thinned out every 3-5 years. You also want to look and make sure that they aren't too crowded once they start to bloom. Good luck!
  • Bulldog

They need to be thinned out
  • 512181

Also, make sure you don't have deer. Our deer eat the daylily buds before they bloom. The deer shouldn't bother the iris . So they may be planted too deeply.
  • Carol S.

I live in an enclosed subdivision. It doesn't seem like anything was eating them. I have leaves but no blooms. Do you think they need to be divided and replanted? I might try that. Thanks for your help.