Ethel Schuler
Ethel Schuler
  • Stroudsburg, PA

How can I rid my backyard of Ticks?

LaylaNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CASharon Susa Courchesne
+8

I've already removed shrubs, keep my lawn mowed but i still have a big problem with them.

You need to treat the lawn and garden with an insect control for ticks.
  • Janey B.

We had that problem at the local pool one year. We would lay our towels on the grass and when you picked them up they would have tons of ticks on them. The area had to be treated with a tick control application to kill the ticks and keep them away.
  • Sparkles

run chickens or guineas as they both eat ticks.
  • Sharon Susa Courchesne

I found this online for you:

Tick Control
    • Keep grass and weeds trimmed and remove wood piles to reduce harborage for tick hosts.
    • Whenever possible, stay out of pest infested areas, grassy pastures, prairies and wooded areas.
    • Restrict movement of your pets.
    • When entering infested areas, wear long-sleeved shirts, and long trousers with tight-fitting cuffs.
    • Wear light-colored clothing. Ticks are easier to see on a light background.
    • Use Herbal Pet Collars, or one of our other least-toxic products to protect dogs and cats.
    • Broadcast EcoSMART® Insect Killer Granules around foundations, lawns and landscapes to eliminate or repel all kinds of problem pests.
    • Apply food-grade Diatomaceous Earth for long-lasting protection. Made up of tiny fossilized aquatic organisms, DE kills by scoring an insect’s outer layer as it crawls over the fine powder. Contains NO toxic poisons!
    • Spray pet bedding and kennels with plant-based formulas specifically designed to keep these unhealthy nuisances at bay. Containing no harmful residues, they are SAFE to use around homes, children and pets.
    • Broad spectrum, organic neem oil disrupts the growth and development of pest insects and has repellent and anti-feedant properties. Best of all, it is non-toxic to honey bees and many other beneficial insects.
    If pest populations become intolerable, spot treat problem areas with a fast-acting botanical insecticidesuch as Safer® Mosquito & Tick Killer. This natural spray persists for about two weeks and has less toxicity than commercial chemical pesticides.
  • This is one of the few times that I would use a commercial application of a pesticide. If you choose to do this, if you have anyone with a compromised immune system, children and pets, relocate them for at least 4 hours after application. Over night would be better if that can be arranged.
  • Layla

Mosquito Ranger! kills mosquitos, ticks and fleas.