Debbie
Debbie
  • Methuen, MA

How can I make my fruit trees grow more fruit?

DebbieJewellmartinShawna Bailey
+7

Also, any ideas for keeping birds and squirrels from eating my pears?
Thank you.
Debbie Arrigo
  • Claude

Ck out the balance of the soil and pku. They need the right balance to get blooms . Spring rains increase blossoms too.

• Debbie

I don't know where to get soil tested around here. That's a great idea though. Thanks I'll see if I can find a place.
  • Carol

We use fruit tree fertilizer stakes, found at WM, Lowes.... also, pray for a bountiful crop so you get as much fruit as the critters! Also, bird netting works great.
  • Carol

We have shot firecrackers next to our fruit trees to deter birds and squirrels.
  • Shirley Heikkinen

My friend saves the clear clamshell containers many foods like strawberries come in and she fastens one around each young piece of fruit. You may have to adapt it so the stem of the fruit isn't damaged. The growing fruit still gets sun but the critters can't get to it. Also, netting will help keep the birds from the fruit.
  • Shawna Bailey

Netting!
  • Jewellmartin

This may be too basic for consideration, but do your pollinating bees stay around through the end of the season? Even if you have to set out smaller plants in barrels or in the ground, spaced among the fruit trees, they should add some activity around the fruit and some competition for birds and squirrels.
  • Debbie

Great idea. I think I might need more flowers for the bees.
    thank you.
  • Debbie

thanks everyone. You've given me some great ideas.
    Debbie