How do I get rid of ants in my garden?

Debbie/Dragonfly TreasureKpyeCandace
+8

How do I get rid of ants in my garden without killing my plants and flowers.

Apply food grade diatomaceous earth.
  • Claude

are they fire ants? Then leave them.. they are decomposers, helpers of the soil.
  • 512181

I have used Amdro with some success. It is available at hardware stores.
  • Irm21583447

diatomaceous earth is the safest thing to use around kids and pets. It will also kill fleas and all other exo-skeleton insects and worms. We also make it a point to kill ALL fireants as they can and do kill baby animals. An elderly neighbor fell in her yard and was unable to get up by herself. A passerby saw her sometime later and she was already covered in fireant bites. She lived 2 days. My advice is to kill fireants.
  • Irm21583447

Diatomaceous earth is the best thing to use if you have kids or pets as it won't harm them. It will kill all exo-skeleton insects and pests. My advice on fireants is to KILL them as they bite, sting and kill baby animals such as kittens, puppies, calves and baby birds. One of my elderly neighbors fell in her yard and was unable to get up. Fireants covered her and bit and stung her. A passerby saw her and called EMTs but she died 2 days later from the poison antbites and stings.
  • Linda

Diatomaceous Earth. It is all natural and will not harm pets or humans. Just be careful when applying as not to inhale the fine dust.
  • Dave Page

Pour equal parts water and white vinegar into a spray bottle. Then spray it on anthills and around areas where you see the insects. Ants hate the smell of vinegar. It won't take long for them to move on to better-smelling quarters. Also keep the spray bottle handy for outdoor trips or to keep ants away from picnic or children's play areas. If you have lots of anthills around your property, try pouring full-strength vinegar over them
  • Candace

Yes.. diatomaceous earth is great for all insects and bugs. Indoors and out... you can get it at a feed store that sells feed for cattle however. It is just crushed powdered seashells. .. another is baking soda mixed with sugar. Sugar attracts the ants but the ants cannot digest the baking soda and they die. Try 1 tablespoon sugar to 1/4 cup baking soda and sprinkle on areas ants invade. Works inside the house too.
  • Kpye

Not sure where zone 9 is, but I live in Southeast Georgia and we use cinnamon in our yard, around the pool, in and around the sandbox to keep the ants away. it works for us

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

packaged cornbread mix that says it is sweetened and put it where they are coming in if you can find it, or even on your counter in a small lid. They will take it to the mound, everyone will eat it and die, they can't digest the cornmeal, but will take it because it is sweetened. Little goes a long way.