What can I do about an area in my yard that is Sinking Ground?

Judy EllisonBulldogAudrey Trubshaw
+6

I have an area in my yard that I am assuming was where a tree was at one time. This area is sinking and I would like to build it up but it keeps sinking no matter how much top soil I put on it. How I stop the sinking hole!!!
  • Lynn Woodard Ray

I would think you need to dig down and put in some large rocks. Then fill around the rocks with pebbles and sand. After that foundation is laid, you can put top soil.
  • Sam

are you sure it was from a tree? sounds like it could be sink hole... is there drainage that is going to that part of the yard possibly from under ground?
    if it keeps sinking... that means there is something else going on there besides a missing tree. we've taken trees out and after a couple summers, the holes don't sink any more. how long has this been happening?
  • Shirley Heikkinen

I agree with Sam, further exploration of the area is needed. It could be there is an old pipe, maybe for an old septic tank that may be broken. Call in an expert. I would start with someone trained to find old pipes.
    • That's what I was thinking, too. When we bought our house in 2001, there were some "mushy" sections that sunk in really far when we walked on them. We discovered several broken pipes connected to the sprinkler system that leaked constantly! They also explained our outrageous water bills the first few months!

Bottom line--don't just try to fill it in. It could be a symptom of a much bigger problem that could get worse over time.
  • Dysko7710

If there is nothing under there causing problems after you call someone out, and it is just the way your land is laying, you could try planting something that has a strong root system, like hostas.
  • Audrey Trubshaw

My back yard had a low place where an old septic tank had been. I covered it with cardboard over a winter, then filled it in with soil and planted it. Now it is my "island bed". with shrubs, perennials and "color spots", outlined with old bricks. I put in a pole bird feeder and bird bath, and this year I'm making a fairy garden in a big pot.
  • Bulldog

You need to make sure there is not a broken pipe first. Then when you fill with dirt again make sure it gets compacted well
  • Judy Ellison

Thank you everyone, I covered it w soil and grass see. Seems to be fine. So far, spring will be the true test.