What can I do about an area in my yard that is Sinking Ground?

+7
I have an area in my yard that I am assuming was where a tree was at one time. This area is sinking and I would like to build it up but it keeps sinking no matter how much top soil I put on it. How I stop the sinking hole!!!
  • Lynn Woodard Ray Lynn Woodard Ray on May 03, 2017
    I would think you need to dig down and put in some large rocks. Then fill around the rocks with pebbles and sand. After that foundation is laid, you can put top soil.
  • Sam Sam on May 03, 2017
    are you sure it was from a tree? sounds like it could be sink hole... is there drainage that is going to that part of the yard possibly from under ground?
    if it keeps sinking... that means there is something else going on there besides a missing tree. we've taken trees out and after a couple summers, the holes don't sink any more. how long has this been happening?
  • Shirley Heikkinen Shirley Heikkinen on May 03, 2017
    I agree with Sam, further exploration of the area is needed. It could be there is an old pipe, maybe for an old septic tank that may be broken. Call in an expert. I would start with someone trained to find old pipes.
    • That's what I was thinking, too. When we bought our house in 2001, there were some "mushy" sections that sunk in really far when we walked on them. We discovered several broken pipes connected to the sprinkler system that leaked constantly! They also explained our outrageous water bills the first few months!

Bottom line--don't just try to fill it in. It could be a symptom of a much bigger problem that could get worse over time.
  • Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on May 04, 2017
    If there is nothing under there causing problems after you call someone out, and it is just the way your land is laying, you could try planting something that has a strong root system, like hostas.
  • Audrey Trubshaw Audrey Trubshaw on May 04, 2017
    My back yard had a low place where an old septic tank had been. I covered it with cardboard over a winter, then filled it in with soil and planted it. Now it is my "island bed". with shrubs, perennials and "color spots", outlined with old bricks. I put in a pole bird feeder and bird bath, and this year I'm making a fairy garden in a big pot.
  • Bulldog Bulldog on May 04, 2017
    You need to make sure there is not a broken pipe first. Then when you fill with dirt again make sure it gets compacted well
  • Judy Ellison Judy Ellison on Jan 18, 2018
    Thank you everyone, I covered it w soil and grass see. Seems to be fine. So far, spring will be the true test.
  • Pat Cooper Pat Cooper on Jun 30, 2020

My house is about 10 years old and with a small front yard I can tell part of it has sunk about 3-4 inches which now exposes the bottom of my driveway and also the water meter has sunk with it. It does not get drainage as you might think, so I wonder what will happen if it keeps sinking and what will happen to the water meter. I don't know who to contact about this. Pat