Does oatmeal encourage worms in the garden?

Nancy GrammTeri512181

My grandmother always put oatmeal in her garden to encourage worms. Dones this really help or is this a waste of time and money?
  • 512181

I have never heard of that. However, if for some reason you have oatmeal that has expired, it wouldn't hurt. Any product that will break down to make good loam soil will help attract worms. Coffee grounds, fine leaves etc. are good too. You could make your own compost and then dig the compost in to help worms love your soil.
  • Teri

it does help. Any kind of scrap food will bring on worms.
  • Nancy Gramm

When I lived in the city, I buried all of my vegetable/fruit leavings in my garden and had lovely soil as a result. I'd dig a hole once a week and in it would go. My yard was fenced so I didn't have to worry about critters digging anything up. Now I'm in the country and if the raccoons get a whiff of egg peels, they'll dig it up in a heartbeat!