Install a USB Outlet Cover in a Snap!

$20
1 Minute

We came across this neat product called SnapPower, which adds a USB port to an outlet cover. This seemed like a great solution for a bedroom, kitchen, or anywhere you need to charge your phone, tablet, camera, and more!

Before we discovered this product, the only way to add a USB was to completely remove the existing outlet and wire in a new USB compatible one. This one requires no wiring!

We ordered one on
Watch the video
install a usb outlet cover in a snap
These tabs on the back of the plate receive power from the outlet which then powers the USB--no wiring needed.
install a usb outlet cover in a snap
The first step in any electrical project is to locate the correct circuit breaker and turn OFF the power. Use a power tester or a lamp to be sure the power is OFF.
install a usb outlet cover in a snap
With a flat head screwdriver, remove the screw holding the old outlet plate in place. Remove.
install a usb outlet cover in a snap
Remove the old plate and replace with the USB plate. Screw into place.
install a usb outlet cover in a snap
Turn ON the power.
install a usb outlet cover in a snap
Always read instructions before installing.

And done!
install a usb outlet cover in a snap
USB enabled outlets are a real convenience for all your USB devices because you don't have to use the charging "brick." We especially like ours in the kitchen where it makes a logical place to charge a phone--just stash the cord in a drawer for easy access. 

For more details please video our website below!

We have a giveaway going on right now. Enter now through June 25th here!
Mother Daughter Projects

• Kandi

Were did you get the plate with the USB charger I would really like these in almost everyone of my sockets I think at once we would sell it would be a wonderful selling point and do they come in any other colors? Thank you for you advice in this matter! Sincerely Home Owner

• Ellis

I've also seen Snap-power outlet covers that have tiny LED lights at the bottom, to work as a night light. They come in the traditional and the more modern switchplates.

• Wanda Barnes

I want to buy these also for every room are they in any store yet? Please say Yes! Wonderful idea!@

• Why do they not have a pocket where is sticks out at the bottom front, so that the phone can be put in there while charging.

• Ellis

I have seen outlets with a little shelf for your cell phone, but don't recall where. Try doing a search online.

• Darlyne Weese

love this cool

• Jason Tomkiewicz

This is more of a suggestion then a question. If you want to find the breaker to a certain receptical faster ( definitely if you are doing it alone) plug in a radio and turn it up so you can hear it where the breaker box is. Will save on running back and forth. Did this many times when labeling panels.