Kimberly
Kimberly
  • Danville, CA

What's the best site for a greenhouse?

KimberlyShawna BaileyPeggy Burnette
+3

Full sun or part shade? The area where I live can get quite hot in the summer - 90s and low 100s. I know full sun is normally best but will it be too much in the heat? Winters are mild - almost never below freezing.
  • Puu5299184

Yes, it is too hot. Full sun only means 4 to 5 hours a day. I'm the summer keeping plants in more than that they will get too much. Some shade is needed in the heat of a long hot summer.

That depends on what be be placed in the greenhouse. Full sun is required for flowering plants, Full sun is six to eight hours of sun.
  • Peggy Burnette

Observe the sun pattern. You will be using the greenhouse mostly in the cooler months. Put greenhouse where the sun won't be blocked by trees or buildings. We had green houses, love the summer and plants in the cold weather. Enjoy

• Kimberly

Some additional information - in my yard I find some flowering plants that normally require full sun can't handle it here and need to have more like 3 to 4 hours of sun or only morning sun. I am defining full sun as at least 6 hours.
  • Shawna Bailey

Yes, what do you want to grow in the greenhouse?
  • Kimberly

Flowers and vegetable starts. Mostly flowers. I am near Oakland,CA.