Jim
Jim
  • Sun Valley, NV

Should I leave clippings on the lawn after mowing?

Hillela G.WilliamPeggy Burnette
+2

After mowing my lawn should I leave the clippings on the lawn or remove? I've gotten advice both to remove and leave the clippings. I'm confused.

If you have a mulching blade on the mower it is fine.Don not leaves clumps of grass.
  • Candace

Lawn clippings are very rich in minerals your lawn soil needs, but if there are too many your lawn will die off. You will see yellow spots where clipping are left on too long. Leave the fine clippings but pick up the thicker pads of clippings to use in mulch. Also you can use lawn clippings as mulch for your garden... they are great for this. Spread your collected clipping around your plants to keep moisture in and they will fertilize the soil.
  • Peggy Burnette

Leave the clippings, really good for your lawn, After you mow try going the opposite direction to throw the grass around.

Some clippings will decompose and feed the lawn. Too much they will choke the lawn. I remove and bag the clippings. As you mow some will slip by and be left in the lawn. That is fine. Every spring I use a dethatching rake and rake all the thatch (dead lawn clippings) that can choke out the lawn and prevent water and fertilizer from reaching the roots.
  • Hillela G.

I'm a fan of leaving the clippings too.