John Boutwell
John Boutwell
  • Maynardville, TN

How do i get rid of the sulfur smell in my well water??

John BoutwellNancy TurnerDysko7710
+3

I assume you have a well or community water. You will need a rust and sulfur in line filter. Have your water tested on the type of filter that would work.
  • Jnc22440961

Some areas just have sulfur well water if after a good hard winter and you get a lot of rain that might go away otherwise you might be stuck with it especially if you're in places like Hanford California where all the water smells like sulfur
  • Mag1889907

If you have a well you can add a charcoal filter.
  • Dysko7710

We have to have an entire system in our basement with an oxygenation system that softens the water and deals with odors. This may be something you need to look into.
  • Nancy Turner

You can get a system for your house that basically gives you purified water. We have had them before when the water tasted terrible. Basically it is an RO water system. We now have a small one to make purified water for our saltwater fish tanks. This type of system works really well. Check them at places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc., Culligan and other services like that also have them. You just need to make sure you change out the cartridges when you are supposed to.
  • John Boutwell

I have my own well on 37 acres
    I did a lot of research now and found a way to get rid of it.
    I bought a 1/4 tap a line for a ice maker but i used copper line instead of the plastic line that came with it.
    I just tapped the in going water line to the house.
    then ran the copper line in to the top of big plastic tub (2'x1'x2') , then drilled a 1/2 hole in the side of the plastic tub then put a 1/2 pipe out of the hole into my well cap to run the water back in to the well. (be sure it don't leak)
    then I put a floating pool chlorine tablet holder in the tub with 1 chlorine tablet in it. and let it run for a day then turned on all my water in the house and let it run till no more smell. cost me about $20.00 to make this. sure was a lot more cheaper than the one I was going to buy at $1500.00 and it does the same thing.
    I checked with the health dept. here and they said it was a great idea and the pool tablet won't hurt because it's the same basic thing as they use in the store bought ones, they said chlorine is chlorine, and not much difference in the two.
    not sure how long this take the smell out for but it's been running a few weeks now and so far no smell and can't even smell or taste the chlorine in the water either.
    so try this on yours if you have the smell in your water like I did
    it works good and don't run my pump very often