How can I clean Stained stainless steel? Is it ruined forever?

MartaJanice BlairMargaret
+9

I managed to stain my sink when I placed a scrub brush in it that still had some toilet cleaner gel on it. Any ideas how to clean it or is it damaged forever? Be careful it you use the grout cleaning hint using cleaning gel. This is what happens to any stainless steel in the area. Got a splash on my new s/s refrigerator as well.

Stainless steel sinks a made of a lower quality stainless steel. Has some iron in it for strength. Use only stainless steel specific cleaners and not any of the combination cleaners. CLR, Lime Away, Gel drain cleaners, Bar Keepers Friend, etc. can stain some stainless steel sinks black. To clean the black will take some elbow grease. Use a soft Scotch Bright Pad (not heavy duty) and any compounding auto polish (not wax) and gently scrub in the grain direction if your sink has a grain. Meguiars Compound would be a good choice or similar. Get them at an auto parts store. Good luck and please let me know how it works out for you.
  • Cynthia Casper Robertson

After you remove the spot and the sink is dry, I highly recommend that you put a very small amount of either oil-based stainless steel cleaner or lemon oil and wipe down the sink. It will make it sparkle and removes the dullness.
  • Teresa Eaton

Hi, I grew up with a stainless steel sink in our house. We always used a product called Soft Scrub. It has bleach in it and go with the grain with a scrub pad. Sure, go ahead and
    Shine it up like Cynthia said.
  • Deborah Sharkey

I just clean mine with wd-40
  • Crafty Girl

I sprinkle baking soda in my stainless sink and then pour white vinegar on a rag or paper towel while holding it over the baking soda. The baking soda will fizz as you wipe the stainless steel clean. Add baking soda and white vinegar, as needed. You will see the dirt being removed. Be sure and rinse completely to remove all residue. Wipe with an oil based product to make it shine.
  • Amy Ganley

I use salt and white vinegar brings up the shine and removes any stain, but I also fill the bowl with hot water and bleach leave for 1/2 hr and rins.
  • Beth Gold Roccia

SOS soap pads. Cleaned up mine great when I moved in my house and it was a mess!
  • Margaret

SOS pads have always done it for me. It makes my sink sparkle like a brand new one.
  • Janice Blair

They might clean dirt but they did not help with the stain. Thanks.
  • Marta

Since this was one of my top results with Google l'll add pictures of my before and after, and the products I used. Started with mother's mag and aluminum polish, it comes as a steel wool thingy, (trying to go with the grain), then finished with the wadding polish. It fixed the issue.