Repurposed Samsonite Suitcase to Footstool

I turned this little space into a mini Western Themed library for Retirement residents to sit and relax, with tromp loeil, murals, a repurposed suit case as a foot stool(with four porch finials as feet) with a fuax leather pillow for cushy comfort, rebuilt library table, built shutter book shelves, and repurposed a typewriter into a lamp, when I had the pleasure of being hired to redo a small sitting area in a Western decorated retirement/nursing facility.
I cut a piece of plywood just smaller than the suitcase and drilled holes through both to attach wooden porch post finials for the feet
Then I cut another piece of plywood, padded & covered, and liquid nailed on, it for a soft cushy top to rest feet, tied with leather straps for added accent.
I felt no library was complete without a globe I painted for exploring the world outside.
I built library book shelves with old window shutters.
I painted the emergency exit to resemble looking out the glass library door out into the surrounding western town.
I added a fuax shelf and cat painting for homey comfort
Cat on the shelf close up
Cat on the shelf close up
This desk was originally a coffee table, too big for the area, so I replaced the short legs with long ones, built a hutch shelf with shutters to sit on top, painted tromp l oeil items to fill it, & pushed it against the wall for room.
For aesthetics, I painted the room deodorizer to resemble a cowboy hat hanging on the wall to go with, while concealing, the pleasant aroma!lol
I painted a quill pen with inkwell and a dear John letter on the desktop, along with books, a plant, and a letter box to add interest filling the shelf.
I painted the clock to look like a grandfather clock and added a fun and interesting lamp I built with an old typewriter as the lamp base.
clock closeup
clock closeup
Clock face close up
Clock face close up
Lamp I built with an old typewriter to spark imagination and trigger memories of days gone by... as well as adding more reading light

• Victoria

All of what you did is amazing!!!! So creative, the painting s are spot on. Love all the detail. And the suitcase footrest phenomenal!!!!! Love love love. The nursing home residents are blessed because of you!! Thank you for doing that for them.

• L. Risor

@Victoria Thank you, I loved loved loved doing it for them, I was as blessed... or more than they were!!! :-)

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

You're so talented and creative. What a great room with all of your painted elements. And LOVE the foot stool! Looks so "high end"! Great job!