How can I get my lilac bush to produce more booms?

DowoSuzanneJanet Pizaro
+4

• K Chizmarik

I know there are different varieties of this plant, with mine I get blooms twice a year. As long as I pull off the old blooms after they have dried out.
  • Rena Noele

Blooms are more plentiful on new growth. Immediatly after blooming you need take out the oldest third of the branches, down to about 6 inches from the ground. Then, the bush will sprout healthy new growth for blooming the following spring. By doing this each year, you'll have a lovely lilac bush that's full of blooms.
  • Claude

You can also pick a bouquet when they. Are blooming and enjoy them...new growth will give you more booms next year.
  • Carol

I always cut mine back after they bloom and have great blooming in the spring.

did you prune the lilac and at what time of the season? ave your fertilize the bush? What is your location?What is the light structure?
  • Suzanne

pick bouquets often but don't cut them back every year. It stunts the flower growth
  • Dowo

Thanks to all for your suggestions!