JFT
JFT
  • Crossville, TN

What kind of heating/ cooling system is best for a very small home?

JFTShirley HeikkinenSusie
+5

We are remodeling a Park Model mobile home, and had to remove the old antiquated heating system. Would like to be able to use the existing duct work, or modify it. Does anyone know of a central heat/ac that is small enough? Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • FL

I am not a pro, but I did update the oil heat to natural gas heat in a small house years ago. While the work was being done I had central air added. Very pleased with the results. I know it was more affordable to heat with gas than any other option at the time because I had researched it thoroughly. I checked online for a website and found this site on How to Heat & Cool a mobile home
    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2012/05/17/common-ways-to-heat-and-cool-a-mobile-home/ They mention some options including an Air Source Heat Pump which may work for you in the south as it cools well but doesn't heat well under 35 degrees. Good luck!
  • JFT

thanks, I will check it out.
    We want to use electric.
  • Judy Ferrell

Talk to your contractor about mini-splits. It might be what you need. It is very economical in energy usage.
  • Susie

Mitsubishi makes ductless A.C. units to cool either individual rooms or several. They work wonderful. Try googling mitsubishi
  • Shirley Heikkinen

The most important thing to know is the sq ft of the home, if you install a unit larger than required it will not be efficient. Bigger is not better in this case. We bought a 1984 mobile home last year which needed a new hvac system and had no trouble having it replaced.
  • JFT

Our problem is the size. We have less than 400 square feet, and it is not "open" area. We don't really have room for units in each room.
  • JFT

We do have the ductwork, but the problem is finding a unit that is small enough for our space (400 sq ft.) Most units are too big.