Can I use vinegar and newspapers for Creating a path?

Elizabeth DionVickie BenakB. Enne
+2

I've seen the YouTube videos where they cut the sod and make a new path. My contractor said, "No, we throw vinegar down, lay newspapers, then put 5 inches of soil on top of that." Is that right?
  • Shawna Bailey

It will definitely keep weeds from growing through for a season.
  • Debby Lew

Thank you :)
  • B. Enne

I have done that under mulch and it is much easier than using a sod remover...that thing still haunts me! I did find that it wasn't as flat, but if your grass is flat to begin with, you may be fine.
  • Vickie Benak

Yes, it works. Put down a thick layer of paper or cardboard. It takes awhile to kill off the sod underneath. But this doesn't break your back or your wallet.
  • Elizabeth Dion

Vinegar will kill whatever you spray It on. Make sure you use a thick layer of wet newspaper to cover the intended pathway. I would be more inclined to use pea gravel for the walkway. If you choose to use dirt instead you'll have to tamp it down well to compact it.