Anne Murray
Anne Murray
  • Dublin, OH

Is a skunk living under deck necessarily a bad thing?

JohnchipJeanAnne Murray
+7

• Stacey Gardner

Personally I don't mind skunks, they're actually playful creatures and they only spray when threatened. I believe they also keep rodents in check. I had a skunk move in under my house for the Winter but went his/her merry way in the Spring, no damage was done such as burrowing large underground tunnels or anything of that sort.
    I also have outdoor cats and they all get along amiably, dogs tho' would probably chase them and run the risk of getting sprayed. I know another family who also allowed skunks to live under their house with no ill effect.
    It's a personal preference !
    Hope that helped.
    • Anne Murray

Thank you Stacey. The skunk has caused no problem so far. I'm hoping to dissuade my husband from getting a live-trap and having it removed.

Thanks for your reply!
  • KT

They will take care of any rodent issues you may have.
    If you have dogs or small children, I would vote for removal. We live in country and have had several dogs sprayed. The spray is absorbed quickly into the skin, therefore the scent last 3 to 5 days before fading away which is difficult to endure.

• David

As long as you leave the skunk alone, it won't be a problem. I had one living under my shed for years, and I only saw it late at night on occasion. If you have no dog or small kids, leave him alone. You'll find a skunk to be a good neighbor.
  • Rebecca J Johnson

If you should have small pets such as kittens, I would suggest removing the skunk since they are omnivorous. I had a "pet" skunk until he ate an entire litter of Siamese kittens. Otherwise, I find that they are relatively harmless. If you approach a skunk, or cause it to feel endangered, be prepared for the consequences. Otherwise, live and let live. We have taken their habitat after all.

• Anne Murray

Thank you for your reassuring reply!
  • Mac6231

Think rabies, fleas, unwanted spraying, digging for grubs in the yard and other potential problems associated with having a wild animal in your yard. I think you should get rid of it.
  • Anne Murray

Thanks, we have no dogs or small children, so maybe it can stay.
  • Jean

Skunks that live around humans are less likely to get rabies than their woodsy kin, and I will promise that every other varmint will find other places to be.

I'd rather have the occasional divot in my lawn than grubs, so I consider that her way of paying rent.

they're generally quiet types, most active at dawn and dusk, and I find mine quite good company - I have not had any problems with me tracking fleas in to the house, and she has not dug up any plants I don't have a hundred of.

if it's a he, chances are he will do his squabbling and courting elsewhere.
    if it's a she? chances are that kits will happen...and you would rather dance with a hornet's nest than mess with the babies, capiche?

they like grapes, and apples, and yogurt. and squash. and blueberries (though they are way better about sharing than the groundhog was...he had to go.)

they do not need to be fed, but they might raid the garden - they are omnivores, but it's about 80/20 in favor of plants.

I have not had a problem with them infesting my cats with anything (fleas, or roundworm, which is very common) but my boys are indoor-only.

• Johnchip

Have you asked your local vet? I would. 1. There may be a local rabies problem. 2. Often it is sick animals that hover to homes. 3. He may be able to de-scent it and give you a great nice healthy house pet!