Sarune
Sarune
  • Agawam, MA

DIY Dream Catcher Using Crochet Doily and Wire

Have you ever tried to make your own dream catcher? I made it once when I was little using plastic bangle, sewing thread and some feathers. But that was along time ago and dream catchers seem to be on trend for quite a while now. Oh my, I don’t even want to count those hours I spent scrolling trough Pinterest and adoring all those designs. There is just something magical about them, something I can’t explain, just feel. So I’m just sitting in my tiny balcony enjoying a fresh cup of mint tea and a soft breeze. Gazing at my freshly finished dream catchers (yes, I decided I need more than one) slowly dancing in the wind. So join me in today’s tutorial on how to make dream catcher using crochet doily, some wire, yarn, beads and leather.

diy dream catcher using crochet doily and wire
Tools and Materials
  • A crochet doily. Thrift stores usually have loads of beautiful and cheap doilies. I got a set of linen ones from my auntie, can you believe she was going to throw them out?
  • Wire. Something thick enough to hold a shape but not too hard so you could bend it by hand. I used 1.6 mm zinc covered with PVC which I found at my local hardware store.
  • Yarn. One thicker kind (I used twine) to cover up wire and thinner (in my case cotton) to make strands and put beads on.
  • Beads of your choice. I used strands of thrifted necklaces made of wooden and glass beads.
  • Scrap of soft thin leather or other similar material to make feathers
  • Jewelry findings – jump rings and eye pins. I found that buying jewelry findings at Aliexpress in advance saves me lots of money.
  • Scissors, pliers, cutters, crochet hook and marker.
Start by making the “feathers”. Draw some leaf shapes on the back side of your leather. I had a piece of my mom’s 90’s jacket laying around. You might want to use some stencil but I went totally free style here and just draw everything by hand.
Cut out the shapes and cut them all the way around to create that fringe effect. Voila – your leaf turns into feather!
Now pierce the top of each feather and put a jump ring in it. Next attach an eye pin to each jump ring and leave it be for now. If you’re not sure how to work with pins or jump rings check out my DIY triangle pendant post for detailed pictures and tips.
Now you want to make a nice round shape out of wire. To do that find some cylinder shaped object (bucket, pot, stool top, column, pipe etc.) and wrap your wire around it. Make sure that the size of the circle is similar to the doily you have. I used bucket for mine. Twist the ends to hold together and cut the wire.
Loosen the ends of your wire a little bit and start putting on doily. I’m not sure how to describe it in words properly but you should simply put one end of the wire trough the holes of the doily and do that all the way round. I think it will be much clearer when you try and feel it yourself. Make sure that your doily is not too loose. If it is loose you will have to leave longer outer edges.
When you finish this step secure wire ends again and try to shape them into some kind of loop or hook for hanging. Also you might need to reshape your circle a little bit by hands. Mine looks somehow flattened in this picture but I ensure you it’s only because of poor angle while taking photo. Hang it in some easily reachable place and let’s move to making beaded strings.
Start by adding some smaller beads on already prepared eye pins and attaching jump rings at the ends (no more jump rings, I promise) Make any design you want or go totally random like I did here.
Now attach the thread to the jump ring and decorate it with larger beads. Secure beads with knots so they wouldn’t slide down. As you can see Jaques the cat decided to join in at this point. He enjoyed yarn ball and beads so much that he almost ruined the scene! No quail eggs for nasty Jaques today.
Back to the dream catcher. Hang your first strand. It should be the longest one and go directly to the center. Then hang other strands symmetrically and shorten each of them gradually. Don’t worry about not so beautiful yarn ends at the base. We will hide them eventually.
I decided to make seven “tails” for this dream catcher but I also made another one with only five of them. It’s totally up to you and basically depends on the size of the doily. Some tips for design: try to bring order by making your strings symmetrical and avoid too many colorful beads. Keep it simple and neat.
Now it’s time to cover up that ugly wire. Take some twine (or any other yarn you prefer) and crochet all the way around the wire in simple single crochet stitch. You might want to turn on some TV show at this point cause it takes some time to work all the way round with all those strings and wire. I think it took me about 40 minutes.
Keep crocheting all the way round and pay special attention to the bottom part where the strings hang. You want to cover up all loose ends but be careful not to “hook in” the strings themselves. Also strings tend to slide a little bit to sides so keep checking if the spaces between them are still the same equal length.
After you finish crocheting all the way round it should look something like this. Make final touches – fix that circle to make the shape perfect, trim loose ends, maybe twist a loop for hanging and you’re ready to go!
Hang your DIY dream catcher in a nice place and admire! I also made two smaller ones to create a matching set. It is a perfect earring holder too!
VISIT MY ORIGINAL BLOG POST FOR MORE PHOTOS OF EACH STEP AND PINTEREST FRIENDLY PICTURE!

Sarune

• Rory McBean

Interesting! I never would have thought about using a doily for the center of the dreamcatcher. My question: Wouldn't it be easier to attach the beaded strands after covering the wire ring? Thank you, by the way. I'm inspired to make a researcher for the first time in years!
    • Sarune

Thanks for taking interest Shelly! Of course you can attach strands after covering the wire, but I chose to do that after to cover up those knots and ends since they are in different color and look somehow messy. But that's only personal preference really.
      And for using the embroidery hoop it is also a great idea, but I just wanted to bring another cheaper option using wire.