How do I clean out flowerbed overgrown with grass and weeds?

LandsharkinncFrancesParle
+2

• Lori Law

Start over with a shovel, taking the first layer of dirt and plant material and putting it onto a tarp for disposal. To replant, cover with newspaper, add good topsoil, mounding it a bit for drainage, and add ground cloth . Plant hardy perenials, shrubs potted plants, that up to you. Mulch or river gravel make great finishes.
  • Bobbie

I would put down black plastic over all the weed/grassy areas and leave for one growing season. Take care not to cover any flowering plants. Next spring you can remove the plastic and remove all the dead weeds/grass. I would put the black plastic back on and cover with pea gravel or mulch.
  • Parle

I flood my flowerbed then when good and soggy, I pull out what i can then I do like the other commentors and lay down black plastic and let the sun bake the heck out of it! Once it's all dead and I'm ready to replant, I get rid of the plastic and lay down either weed barrier or window screen material and start fresh.
  • Frances

I'm with Bobbie! That's the only way! It really works!
  • Landsharkinnc

depends on how big a hurry you are in -- manual labor, or cover with heavy black plastic ( you can use heavy duty trash bags and anchor with landscape cloth pins, or brick/stone around the edges. Leave at least one growing season and hope the heat and no light will have killed off any remaining seeds or root stock.