Michele Pappagallo
Michele Pappagallo
  • Myrtle Beach, SC

Mailbox Makeover

When we bought our house, the mailbox was on its last leg....literally!
mailbox makeover
When we bought our house, one of the first projects we tackled was replacing this sad excuse for a mailbox. There were several problems with it...including the fact that it was in an inconvenient spot in the yard, it was literally about to fall over and of course...it was hideously ugly! LOL Our goal was to move it to the other side of our driveway...and remodel it to match our beach themed house.....
mailbox makeover
The first step was to take an old post and cut it into three pieces with staggered lengths. I loved the fact that this was an old dock piling, so there were misc holes and defects in it which made it look perfect for our project. Then, we dug a hole large enough for the longest post to fit into....about 18" deep to make sure it would be firm and steady. next, we arranged to other two posts against the tall post, and screwed the mailbox to the middle post. We drilled a small hole in the top of the tallest post to hold a solar light.
mailbox makeover
We bought a length of rope at Lowes and wrapped it around the posts to secure them together, and used U-shaped nails to attach it to the posts. We added a small concrete pelican statue that we purchased at a local garden center. We attached it with liquid nails to the top of the shortest post
mailbox makeover
We added a solar light in the hole at the top. We just removed the stake that was attached to the solar light so it would fit perfectly into the hole we had previously drilled.
mailbox makeover
The final step was to take an old piece of plywood and paint it white. Then, I sanded it to distress it and added house numbers from Lowes with small screws. I attached a small length of chain from Lowes to hang the sign...and attached it with a small screw through one of the chain links. We love the new look! What do you think? The total cost of this project was less than $125!

• Post  (Local scrapyard)
  • Solar light, rope, mailbox, chain  (Lowes)
  • Pelican Statue  (Local garden center)

• Susann Campbell

I am very happy for you. Good neighbors are always there when good neighbors move in.
  • LesleyAnn Goslett

Absolutely love this idea - simple and unique - have gathered posts & rope and new letterbox to make my own street statement. Thank you for sharing your creativity - hoping my effort turns out halve as good