Michele Pappagallo
Michele Pappagallo
  • Myrtle Beach, SC

Our New Backyard Shed

We needed storage for our garden tools, etc, so this is what we came up with!
our new backyard shed
BEFORE - We removed a small section of our picket fence to make room for the shed. As you can see, the inside part of our yard is standard grass, etc...and the outside part is wooded. We did not want to take up too much of the grassy area with a shed, so we decided to place the shed in the fence line.
our new backyard shed
After making sure the ground was level, we built the foundation for the shed using 2x6s. We placed them on concrete blocks for support and to keep the shed off the bare ground.
our new backyard shed
Next came the floor of the shed. We used rough-cut 1x8s for this.
our new backyard shed
The walls framed up nicely....
our new backyard shed
We added siding to the framework. It is finally starting to look like something!
our new backyard shed
All of the windows and doors have now been cut out. Since there will no electricity in this shed, we wanted to make sure there would be plenty of light inside.
our new backyard shed
We added a light grey metal roof to match our nautical/beach themed house.
our new backyard shed
The windows fit perfectly and we built a door and mounted it as well.
our new backyard shed
I painted all of the trim a bright white. I used Valspar 7002-7 Dove White.
our new backyard shed
I used two colors of opaque stain from Lowes (Sorry, don't remember the color names!) to paint the exterior of the shed. Again, we were going for a nautical look and I love this color combination!
our new backyard shed
Next, we filled in all around the foundation with cinder blocks to add support and to prevent critters from crawling underneath. we also added in the fence pieces we had previously removed and attached them to the front edges of the shed on both sides.
our new backyard shed
Our next step was to build a frame for a porch on the front of the new shed.
our new backyard shed
we placed the frame on concrete paver blocks for support and to prevent ground contact with the frame. we mounted 1x8s to the top of the frame for the floor. I stained the porch the same darker grey color of the shed door and the fence.
our new backyard shed
Next, we added cinder blocks and pavers to each end of the porch to create "steps" for flower pots to sit on.
our new backyard shed
And finally, we added a bit of nautical decor to finish it all off. We love the fact that we now have plenty of storage but it doesn't take up much room in the fenced part of our yard. Also, we like that it matches the rest of our decor. Next project...landscaping! LOL

• Janet Furman

Did you use a plan for this ?
    • Michele Pappagallo

No...I looked at a bunch of plans online, but we ended up just starting with a dimension of 10x12 and building a simple box with a door and windows. Everything was very basic, and we used regular building principles...16" o.c. framework, etc. to make it easy.
  • Amy

Looks great! How much $$$? I could really use this kind of structure for my paintings!
    • Michele Pappagallo

We spent $900 on materials and hired an extra hand for construction for $300....so the total cost was $1200. It took two full days to complete.

• PatB

How did you attach the frame to the cinder blocks?
    • Michele Pappagallo

It is not attached. We built the floor and placed it directly on top of the cinder blocks. The weight of the building holds everything in place.

• PatB

Is the base attached to the cinder blocks or it is just sitting on the blocks?
    • Kathy Haines Cramer

It looks like blocks, not deck blocks. We plan on using deck blocks...
    • Michele Pappagallo

The base is actually just sitting on the cinder blocks. They are standard cinder blocks from Lowes. It originally just had blocks as supports under the corners and underneath the floor in the areas that needed support, but then we decided to put them all the way around to prevent animals, etc from crawling underneath.
  • Katen

Cost?
    • Michele Pappagallo

We spent about $900 for materials, and $300 to hire an extra hand for construction....so $1200 total cost.
  • Ann Cassler

Great job! What are the dimensions of the shed? Looks like a little over 8' to the peak and maybe 7? at the front and back? Ours is 6' at short sides and 8' at peak. Built by my brother and nephew. Wish we had put windows in. Maybe later. haha
    • Michele Pappagallo

It is actually 10x12, and the peak is about 7 1/2 feet high at the tallest point. We love having the windows since we did not run electricity to the shed. It adds lots of light....and I love the way they dress up the outside too!
  • Bj Blyth

Would you please come build one of those for me? LOL! I love it!
  • Tracie Powell

No question just THANK YOU. The shed is beautiful and your outline is awesome. I can't wait to try this. So thanks again 💕💕
  • Par8835153

Please share dimensions of the shed. Approximate cost to build? Great job!
    • Michele Pappagallo

Thanks! The shed is 10x12, and we spent approximately $900 for materials, plus $300 for an extra hand to help with the construction....Total cost $1200.
    • Par8835153

Wow! You guys did great on budget and design.
  • Kyle

Just wondering, what was the total cost for your shed project?

Thank you, Kyle
    • Michele Pappagallo

We spent approximately $900 for materials, and hired an extra hand to help with the construction for $300. It took two days to complete, and the total cost was approximately $1200.
  • Dave Cibert

Could you please send me the actual plans showing the dimensions and placement with the parts list?
    Or refer me to a site where it's available.
    Thanks
    David
    cyberteyes@gmail.com
    • Michele Pappagallo

We didn't use an actual plan for this. We started with a 10x12 size in mind and then just built from there. We designed the building as a simple box with doors and windows, and kept everything as uncomplicated as possible. We looked at a few plans to get ideas, but really just used basic building principles when we were putting it together....16" o.c. framing, etc.
  • KD

Did you use any plans like from a book or something?
    • Michele Pappagallo

No, we basically decided on a 10x12 size, and then just built a box with doors and windows. I looked at several floor plans online to get ideas, but in the end, we just kept it simple.
    • KD

Well you guys are some talented Carpenters. I love the finish product
  • Hb

May I ask what you used on the outside walls ( panels of some kind?)
    • Brian Corte

That's T1-11 paneling (basically plywood).
    • Dorinda Morpeth

Looks like T1-11 siding. A very durable and inexpensive, plywood-type siding that takes paint and stain well. My cabin is 45 years old and the original T1-11 siding is holding up very well with Behr stain every 10 years.
    • Jeanna Gerzsenye

If you need something more sturdy and weather resistant, you could use Hardy Board Siding. It would last longer and depending on the siding you have on your house it would match that as well.
    • Adolph Hebert

When I extended my 8x10 purchased shed, I used 4x8 sheets of exterior (treated) panels purchased from Lowes. I never learned the Item identification code. After allowing the panels to "dry out" for about 6 months, I used Sherwin Williams Commercial High-End primer - white - followed by the matching Exterior Latex Glossy Commercial paint sprayed-as with the primer-with the lowest SW airless sprayer SW offered at the time. The result was great and, after several years ol SW Louisiana weather and general hard use, I have not repainted. What It needs now is a good pressure wash - then probably new paint.
    • Michele Pappagallo

We did use T1-11 siding. It is a material frequently used in our area (Myrtle Beach, SC) for its durability. It stands up to heat and moisture well and is easy to work with.
  • La Jona Granef

Around how much did cost to build! Looking for nice storage shed that don't leak R cost too much
    • Danielle

I'd be shocked if she came in under $1500.
    • Valmuse

Following
    • Michele Pappagallo

We spent about $900 for materials, and hired a person to help with the labor, which cost an additional $300. It went up in two days, and the total cost was right at $1200. It is a 10x12 and estimates elsewhere were much higher, so we were happy that we were able to build it for this price.
    • La Jona Granef

Yeah That is a good price! Thanks
  • Jas21829956

Do you have plans or a list of materials by size and quantity?
    • Michele Pappagallo

No, I am sorry. We basically just started with a 10x12 floor plan and designed it around that. As you can see from the pictures, the shed is really just a basic box with doors and windows, so any standard shed plans should be pretty similar. We tried to keep it as simple as possible to save labor and material costs.
  • John lapp

Did U leave space between the concrete blocks for ventilation?
    • Michele Pappagallo

They are about 1/4" apart....just enough for a bit of air circulation, but not far enough apart for possums, raccoons, etc to get through as easily.

• Don

Any info on the ships wheel on the door? Thanks for sharing.
    • Michele Pappagallo

I bought that from a lady that had posted it for sale on a facebook swap page. It originally had a clock in the center, and was a natural brown color. I removed the clock, painted the wheel white and hung it with a standard hook on the back. It is not a real ship's wheel....just decorative, but I love the way it matches our theme and fits the door perfectly.
    • Debby

what a beautiful job... Looks great... Must be nice to have a natrual tree background. so pieceful. I like the nautical theme!
  • Valerie Mitchell Heron

Could you tell us the cost of the prodject
    • Michele Pappagallo

The actual materials for the shed itself cost about $900, and we hired a helper to help with the physical building of it, which added another $300 to the total. Overall, it was right at $1200 for the whole thing.
    • Valerie Mitchell Heron

Not bad. Thankd👍🏾
    • Jane Doe

I am sure that the home made shed is much stronger made than the store bought. I saw one that the wind tore apart and it was pretty flimsy built. You have done a great job on your shed.
  • Carl T Lawendowski

How does the cost of your shed compare to one that might be store bought??? There are a lot of different sheds on the market that may be somewhat equivalent but I wonder how much more expensive might they be, including delivery-----twice as much perhaps ???
    dusky@roadrunner.com
    • Karyn buffington

In my humble opinion, you cannot put a price on the joy of having a storage shed or outbuilding that closely mimics the look of your home, which I believe is what she was going for. After all, you have to look at it everyday!
      But with that said, I am also certain a pre-fab shed could have been purchased for less money.
      Anyway, I think it looks great..Fabulous job!
    • Jewellmartin

I did a quick check at Lowe's.com. A metal building was for sale at $399.00. But when I looked at a small wooden shed that looked a lot like Michele's, the cost was about $1700.00. So her home made shed was much cheaper than Lowe's, whether the choice was the plans and materials, or delivered. Best wishes!
    • Michele Pappagallo

We paid $900 for materials and hired an extra hand to help with construction for $300....so our total cost was $1200. One problem we had with pre-built sheds was trying to get them into the location we had chosen. We would've had to take out a large tree in our front yard to maneuver a truck/trailer through that area...and then removed all of the fencing on the front half of our backyard to get through there. Building it ourselves was a much better option for us when everything was considered. Plus, we were able to make it match the rest of our home this way as well.
    • YouDee

Plus, I'm sure that the quality of the self-built one is far superior to the store-bought one.
    • Carl T Lawendowski

Great answers. I was presuming pretty much the answers but was looking for verification. And how do you put a price on the pleasures gained with "home made".
      carldusky
    • Cynthia Whitney

We're tearing down an old garage (16 x 16--guess how old that is!) and replacing it with a pre-built. We do have room to have it delivered and will have it built and painted to match our existing barn and garage. A 12 x 20 will run about 4 times what this family paid. I'd go for wider but they have to get special permits to transport them and that adds a lot to the price. I guess it all depends on what you want. As for quality, around here these sheds are all built by Amish carpenters and the quality is unbeatable. If you're not into carpentry, a pre-built may be the way to go.
  • Gary

What size is this shed?
  • Lam22327584

Where's the ramp?
    • Michele Pappagallo

when we designed the shed, we decided we did not want a ramp because it would be sticking out into the yard. We loved the idea of a porch to give the shed a cottage look...and we have a set of small metal ramps we can use in case we ever need them to roll something into the shed.
    • Lady t

Ramp for the lawn mower, great idea..
  • Diane Franklin Doletzky

Great job, Michele! It teally looks good, and well built. I just wanted to mention one way to cut some of the cost...when we built our shed, we decided to install a nice sized, one piece, and inexpensive, clear acrylic skylight on each side of the roof to let in the daylight. Do you think you'd have more hanging and shelving space on the walls without the windows? Also, I was wondering if the windows weren't a big part of your materials expense?

Thanks, and good job!
    Diane
    • Michele Pappagallo

Thanks for the suggestion. The windows were actually on sale at Lowes for $25 each, so they were not a huge expense. We thought about skylights, but were afraid of leaking issues. We live in a coastal area, so skylights can be a bit tricky here. We also thought the windows might provide nice ventilation for the inside as well. There are no windows on the back side, so we have shelving across the whole back, as well as halfway down each side. The front half is used to store boxes, tall items like yard tools, etc. So far, it is working out really well for us. Thanks for checking it out!
    • Lady t

Nicely done! Great price on your windows. Our Glass Biz, sells the old windows they replaced, very reasonable. We only did one window. Without electricity, Extra light would help.Tx U, neighbor lady t

• Michele Pappagallo

Thanks so much!
  • JoAnn Colvin

What was approx cost?

• Michele Pappagallo

We spent $900 on materials and hired an extra helper for the construction at a cost of $300 for 2 days labor....so the total cost was $1200.
    • Nat22130556

It is beautiful, love the colors

• Denahensley

Boy i could live in it , great idea for homeless people
  • Kat22609784

why didn't you show us the inside? Cute Idea but wood doesn't usually last very long in wet country...brick would have been better.
    • Sev11369031

That's why there is treated wood to use for the foundation and floor.
    • Michele Pappagallo

The inside is just storage space for our lawn and garden tools, lawnmower, etc. I assumed that nobody is interested in seeing those things. I have to confess, I have never seen a brick storage shed before. I guess it would be longer lasting, but it's definitely not something I would consider on my budget. We used treated wood with a 25 year lifespan, so by then I will most likely want a new shed anyway. Thanks for your comments.
    • Rosa Stumpf

Love it! It is beautiful.
    • Rachael Basye

Our house is made of the same type of T-111 siding and it's just now needing to be replaced after 23 years of very wet Oregon weather. The most important part is putting a good layer of paint on to protect the wood and keeping the paint in good shape. Ours would have lasted longer had the previous owners kep up on the maintenance. It is siding though and is meant to withstand the elements. I wouldn't try that with regular plywood. It looks beautiful... great job! How much was the overall cost?
    • Barb in Texas

Don't know where you live, but you do have to adapt ideas to the local climate and availability of building supplies. If wood works for them, why knock their idea? If you want to copy the idea, use brick if you think that would be better for your situation.
  • Aj312495847

What are the dimensions of your shed? Looking to build one myself. Great build!
  • Sandi

Did you have to have a building permit?. I would like to do one.
    • Lou Ann Lauer

Depends on where you live. In our area you do not need a permit for up to 120 sq. ft.
    • Michele Pappagallo

We didn't need a building permit, but we live in an HOA so we had to get approval through the HOA to insure that the building would meet the neighborhood requirements.
  • Nel22337029

Do you have any photos of the inside?
    • Michele Pappagallo

No...It is just an open box inside. We chose to leave it that way to allow for storage of larger items like lawn mowers, pressure washer, etc. We did add some portable shelving units for smaller items as well.
  • Dl.5660408

Did you attach the frame to the cement blocks? Also I wondered why you added the rest of th cement blocks after the shed was built? It came out so cute and looks well built
    • Michele Pappagallo

Hi there! We did not attach the frame to the cement blocks. The floor rests directly on top of them, and the weight of the shed holds it all in place. After we built the shed, w were trying to figure out something to make a nice skirting around it, but I didn't want lattice or something that would leave the bottom open for critters, etc. After pricing bricks, etc, we decided to just go with the concrete blocks since we knew they were the perfect height. They fit right under there...and we painted them with the shed paint before putting them in so they would match.
    • Dl.5660408

It looks great, concrete blocks are very versatile and relatively inexpensive. We, unfortunately, would have to fasten ours due to earthquakes in our area, but I'm sure that problem co be solved. Again, excellent work making your shed so handsome
  • Dale Chamberlain

no pictures or comments about how you installed the roof! Do you have info on that?
    • Michele Pappagallo

If you go back through the pictures, you will see one that shows three boards spanning across the roof trusses. We used those to attach standard metal roofing. we used stainless screws to prevent rusting. The roof panels overlap a little bit on each end to prevent leaking. When all of the panels were attached, we added a "cap" over the very top where the two sides come together. This was screwed on as well. It was all down the way typical metal roofing is installed, and there has been no leaking, etc. We went through Hurricane Michael this past October, and the shed held up perfectly, so we are very happy with it!
  • Fcd9624638

what will the it cost to build this shed, approximately? Thank you

• Nancy

Would love to give your shed a try, what did you end spending to build it? Could you add a little more information on how to make the roof tresses?
    • Michele Pappagallo

If you look at pictures 5 and 6, you will get a better idea of how the roof was added. We angle-cut the ends of the boards and attached them at both ends. The roof has a very low pitch because we do not get snow/ice here. Hope that helps. We spent $900 for materials and $300 for labor because we hired an extra hand to help with construction.
  • Rhi26396769

Didn't you have to get approval from the municipality you live in to do this project? With all the 'groundwater' concerns now, something like this would have to first be approved, at least in our area it would.

• Liz

Unless it is wired and piped, it does not require permits. check out the lot lines. Build it on stilts with a ramp at the entrance so that is not close to the ground. With the stilt design, you do not need to level the ground. Just be able to dig 4 feet down for the supports. I did a similar design without the window to create a run in shed with a classic a sliding barn door.

• Michele Pappagallo

Our home is located outside the city limits, and so we were not required to get a building permit. All areas have different guidelines, so be sure to check the rules for your area before building.

• George

An outbuilding this size and you didn't install electrical power/lights? Why bother?

• Sharon

probably didn't want to go through the hassle of getting the permits to do electrical. I don't blame him. I don't have electric in my shed.

• Susan

It's a storage shed, not a workshop, or anywhere to spend time in. That's why they put a lot of windows in, for light. It obviously suits them just as it is - it's well built & functional for storage.

• Michele Pappagallo

We use this building to store things like our lawnmower and pressure washer, and since they aren't afraid of the dark, we decided it would be a waste. We also have a large workshop that is fully wired, so we didn't need power in this location as well. Thanks for your opinion though.

• Shelby Hansen

Wondering what the dimensions of the shed are? Also width of doorway?

• Elnora

Judging by the width between the floor joists as well as the width between the wall studs, it appears to be about 10' by 12' with the door being about 4'. (Those measurements are figured using standard 16" centers on both floor joists and wall studs.) Hope this helps you

• Michele Pappagallo

Yep! Those dimensions are exactly right. The shed has been the perfect size for our outdoor storage issues...and the wide door allows us to push in our lawnmower, pressure washer, etc easily.

• Shelby Hansen

thank you for your reply, that was my guess, just wanted confirmation.

• Diana

If you have any instructions or photos of the roof joists and process that would be mucho appreciated. I love what you did and I am going to try this myself!! How high is the ceiling?

• Kwjalien

beautiful, but how much does this cost, would I come out better buying one from Homedepot, and getting someone to install it for me

• Michele Pappagallo

We spent approximately $1200 for our shed. It is 10x12. The materials were $900 and we hired a helper/carpenter for $300. In our area, it was much, much cheaper to build our own rather than buy one at Home Depot. Our Home Depot didn't offer one this size....so that was another factor for us.

• Monique Blazer

Yup. Cheaper to buy the kit and have someone else build it

• Deborah Harrell

Cost of lumber is expensive

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

I need a back yard shed SO much. You make it look easy enough that I may have to try this myself.

Do you think one person could do it alone?

• Michele Pappagallo

I think it would be extremely hard for someone to build a shed this large by themselves. The length of some of the boards and the fact that the door weighs over a hundred pounds would make it pretty hard. We had two of us, plus two hired laborers. I think it would be possible to build a smaller shed by yourself...check Pinterest for simple shed plans and see if something appeals to you. Best of luck!

• Denise M. Cooper

I say: "where there's a will~~there's a way"! ???

• Denise M. Cooper

• Rachel

What size is the shed?

• Teresa Lopez

How much was Your total project

• Michele Pappagallo

We spent $900 for materials and $300 for hired labor to help us with the build....for a total of $1200.

• Sandy

Wow how great I lover all ideas how u put fake grass and also where to fine I love this web cite I want to join sandy

• Wease De Haven Rainey

Do you not store mowers etc in this shed?

• Michele Pappagallo

Yes...one small mower, and other yard items such as a Mantis tiller, pressure washer, hand truck, misc garden tools, etc. It has worked out perfectly for us.

• Mfa28667418

What are the dimensions of this backyard shed?

• Mfa28667418

Oh yeah! Hubby and I have been wanting to build a shed but thought it too daunting. What would you say was the greatest challenge? Dimensions?

• Michele Pappagallo

Hi there! The dimensions of our shed are 10' x 12' and it is approximately 7' high at the leak of the roof. We were also daunted by the prospect of building our shed....so we chose to hire a local person with some building experience. We provided the design on the shed, and furnished all of the materials. He worked side by side with us for the three days it took to complete the building. My husband and I are both pretty handy with tools, building, etc, but it made it much easier to have someone there that had built a shed of this size before. Plus, it was also nice having an extra set of hands. We paid the helper $300 for three days of work...about 8-9 hours each day, plus furnished a small lunch each day. (Labor is fairly cheap here in Myrtle Beach). It worked out perfectly for us...and I am happy to report that the shed has withstood two hurricanes since we built it and has not sustained one bit of damage!

• Ali33495451

I’m curious, as to cost, to build this gorgeous shed. I understand you paid $300 for labor. What did it cost for materials? I love this! I hope you all were safe during Hurricane Florence!

• Michele Pappagallo

Thanks so much! Labor was $300 and the materials were $900...making the total cost of the shed $1200. We built it in 2015, and it is still standing after 3 hurricanes so far! LOL

• Dorie Minden

Do you have a plan you followed?

• Dorie Minden

Did you follow a plan or have a link to a plan?

• Mary

What size was the shed what size was the shed

• Andrea Lunsford

Have you remembered or found the names of the colors you used?

• Pam

Would it blow over in a strong wind?

• Michele Pappagallo

Well, it survived Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael without a bit of damage....so I think it is pretty sturdy! LOL We are in Myrtle Beach, SC and we got hit by both hurricanes afterwe built our shed. Luckily, it survived the winds and the flooding perfectly!

• Joan

It's a She Shed

• Chip Caddy

similar colors are Sherwin Williams Gauntlet Gray SW7019 and Dorian Gray SW7017 or Mindful Gray SW7016 Respose Gray SW7015