Should I be cutting off the dead petunias or should I wait?

512181Barbara Murphy PlanckJanet Pizaro
+3

• Guerrina

I usually deadhead my petunias and they continue to grow and flower. When I forget they get gangly and finally die.
  • Margaret

You should clip the dead from them. The more you clip, the more they will bloom.
  • Vickie Benak

There are supposed to be better hybrids that don't need to be dead headed, but I still do and trim any dead or sickly parts. Gives the rest of the plant a better chance to get fed properly.

Yes there are two benefits,one they will produce many more flowers and tow it will help with controlling insects.
  • Barbara Murphy Planck

Thanks for all the shares. I just cut them all back because I found white flies and had to spray them. Flies are gone so now I hope for new blooms and will dead head.
  • 512181

Flowers think their job is to produce seeds. After the seeds are formed, the plant often hardens off and stops blooming. You need to keep the dead heads off so the new growth continues and the plant keeps blooming.