Dessya Palit
Dessya Palit
  • Rocklin, CA

Simple Master Bedroom Remodel

$2000

I was on a tight budget on this one, mostly because we want to be sure that we don't overspend while renovating . Most of it really is just the beauty of carpet and paint :]
simple master bedroom remodel
This was the master bedroom when we first walked in. We had a busted window, the carpet and paint was dirty. A sneak peek at the master bath with its dark green walls that I wasn't too thrilled about.
simple master bedroom remodel
Another view of the side of the master bedroom. There was the really huge walk in closet with absolutely nothing in there to hang your clothes to. It was all stripped off. First thing we did all around the house was paint and removing the carpet and baseboards.
simple master bedroom remodel
We decided to go for laminate in all the bedrooms. For the laminate underlayment, we picked the more expensive kind that also serves as a moisture barrier. This was about $0.59/ sq ft.
simple master bedroom remodel
For the laminate, I chose the rustic timber -- it is grey and white laminate. I love the colors and it comes with a lifetime warranty. This was $1.99/sq ft
simple master bedroom remodel
According to instructions, we put them in the room to acclimate the flooring. We left it there for about 3 days or so.
simple master bedroom remodel
We started laying out the particle board and the underlayment, but realized towards the entrance that the floor was dipped lower than the rest.
simple master bedroom remodel
My husband put shims in the low areas so that the floor would be level by the time we put the laminate down.
simple master bedroom remodel
I started on the left side putting spacers at the corners, and laying down the laminate.
simple master bedroom remodel
Continued progress, if a laminate has a hard time clicking with each other use the pull bar and a rubber mallet/hammer and gently tap them.
simple master bedroom remodel
Cleaned up, swept and vacuumed the area when it was done and pulled out all the spacers.
simple master bedroom remodel
The laminate also flows through the walk in closet. After this the only thing left to do is just putting the baseboards and the decorating!
simple master bedroom remodel
I went with a Cal King bed that we got from Craigslist fortunately for free and in excellent condition :] and bought a 10 piece grey comforter set from Amazon, I think for around $65 (with shipping) You can find it .
simple master bedroom remodel
For the windows I went with IKEA LILL (the white sheen curtains) for $4.99 a pair and IKEA BOLLOLVON block out grey curtains which is $14.99 for the pair. The curtain rod was IKEA RACKA/HUGAD which is a double curtain rod for $20.91.

P.S - Notice the bathroom? Yeah we did a simple remodel on that too :] I may post about it on another blog later.
simple master bedroom remodel
We bought used white wire shelving from Craigslist for about $30 and used them for the master bedroom and the 2 smaller bedrooms :)

I have to keep it simple, without much decor because we were renting out the room and not living in there ourselves, that way it would give our housemate a chance to put their own pictures on the walls.

Hope you guys enjoyed this ^_^
simple master bedroom remodel
Here is the before and after of the project ^_^

• Underlayment  (Floor and Decor)
  • Laminate Flooring  (Floor and Decor)
  • Particle Board  (Home Depot)

• Dawn Copeland Dille

Two questions.
    1. After you remove the spacers, won't this tend to allow the flooring to shift over time?
    2. How do you fill in gaps around the door jamb?
    • Lyn Woodall

You then put the base board, cover strips back on the wall. You ha have the little space for expansion.... I know, because we laid ours too tight & when the weather changed it buckled.... aweful but fixable.
  • Brittney Lillie

Is the floor squeaky at all where the shims were placed under the subfloor?
  • Mas28730575

Love the flooring what is the name of it?

• Patti

You did an amazing job on that room. Great work and inspiring - thank you for all the detail!
  • Pam Lewandowski

Congratulations on such an amazing job!  Looks great and what a great feeling EVERY TIME you walk in there! :)