How do you get rid of fire ants forever?

Elaine SchusterCarol RoachJohnchip
+5

• Donna

I am not sure that is possible. I recently bought a product that recommended to me by a fellow Lowe's
    shopper, Spectracide Fire Ant Shield Mound Destroyer. Supposed to kill the queen and Colony And prevent new mound formation! Very inexpensive. As soon as the rain stops, I am giving it a try!!
  • Ronald Musson

It works! As far as getting rid of them forever--wish it were true, but it's not! They will always be around. But the product mentioned works amazingly!

For a natural solution apply food grade diatomaceous earth.
  • Julie Cain Newman

We are about to try orange oil, molasses and water mixer. But the video we watched said that you need to be sure and spray around the outside of the mound first, so when you spray the mound, the ants don't just run away to start a new one.
  • C. D. Scallan

The above product works if you follow the directions and spread around the mound , I think it says a foot or 2 as well as all over the mound. You have to treat every one in your yard on the same day, as well as the neighbors on either side . Or they just go next door and come back . I did this , for myself and both my neighbors . So far, so good . It's been six months and for us that's a record .
  • Johnchip

Pour some gas into the nest holes, wait a minute as the fumes will penetrate the tunnels. Light a match. l get pop ups all over the place where they have access to the nest. Gone for good. Best done at dusk when they are mostly home.
  • Carol Roach

Thank you all for the help. I'll try them.
  • Elaine Schuster

There will be two holes. Get both of them. I put tobacco down to help them on their final journey. Even fire ants have spirit.