John Biermacher
John Biermacher
  • Kalamazoo, MI

Shiplap Headboard

We scaled up from a queen to a king and ended up without a headboard for awhile. Since I have made numerous headboard over the years, it was kind of like the shoemaker's kids without shoes. That is until we (my wife and I) saw a bed on Fixer Upper that incorporated Joanne Gaines' trademark shiplap paneling. I am not hesitate to knock of from someonelse's inspiration. We squeezed in this headboard while finishing up a portions of a larger project.
This is the inspiration from Fixer Upper.
The headboard and footboard of our queen bed was purchased around 2006 during a close-ot sale from a local furniture store. I did some repair, made the side rails, and painted everything black. Dear friends purchased it for their guest room when we up-scaled to a king.
This is what our queen bed looked like.
This is what our queen bed looked like.
The basis for the new kingsized headboard was a 48" by 80" piece of 3/4" birch plywood.
Opening marked out on plywood.
Opening marked out on plywood.
The section I cut out is soon to used to make some bases for some upholstered chair seats.
shiplap headboard
I don't have any in-progress photos. So comparing the previous photo to the completed bed will support that: I trimmed out the front with 1" by 6' pine; the ends with 1" by 2 and 3/4"pine. filled the opening from the back with shiplap that I made from 1" by 6" pine on my table saw; added a trim element to the arch; and capped the headboard with a 2" by 6" piece of dimensional lumber.
shiplap headboard
We painted it a macadamia color, which is one of the wall colors in the room. Brushing/rubbing on dark waxandfinish coating with polyurethane gave it an aged appearance but also significantly darked the color from th macadamia. color

My wife is still in the process of finalizing the bedding/pillows and we plan to design some simple wall mounted nightstands.

Thanks for viewing,
John

• ChrisZ

Did you use flexible moulding for the arch trim? Or did you find a product that was thin enough to bend? If so where?
    This is FABULOUS!

• Ann Cassler

Love the headboard! Is it attached to the bed or mounted on the wall? (Or just placed behind the bed).

• Ann Cassler

I was just wondering. I built a king size headboard myself primarily out of 1"x1/2" fencing that had washed up on the beach after huge storms. It stands on the floor behind my 2 twin beds and I too notched out the bottom so it fits over the baseboard. Although it pretty stable I anchored it to the wall lightly just in case. I like the fact that I can move the beds to clean without moving the headboard and the headboard can't damage the wall because it can't move. Thanks for sharing you work.