What can grow in a garden that requires only weekly attention?

Janet PizaroFrancina AmedeoPatty S
+5

I'll only be able to get to my country home on weekends but still would like to plant some herbs or veggies in my box planter - any suggestions on what could thrive without being tended to regularly during the week? The same question for indoor or outdoor green or flowering plants. Thanks

You can plant portulaca that will give you color and manage without watering.As far as herbs and vegetables which need regular watering I would plant them in a self-watering container.
  • Deborah Cripple

Do a Google search for drought tolerant plants...
  • Patty S

Indoors, all succulents will thrive without water for up to a month. These include Christmas cactus, Aoenium Sunburst, Mother-in-laws tongue, Kalanchoe Beharensis, Senecio, Aloe and many others. You can also grow them outside but have to bring them in for the winter, unless you have mild winters.
    Outside, geraniums thrive best when not watered frequently. Once a week would be perfect.
    For my vegetable garden, I put 2 gallon plastic buckets next to each tomatoe plant. I put several small holes in the bottoms. Fill them with water and the they will slowly release the water to the plant. If it rains often enough it actually fills the buckets. Last year I never had to refill the buckets, nature took care of it. You could do the same with other plants but using smaller containers. Be sure to put a rock in each bucket to keep them from being blown away. Good luck.
  • Francina Amedeo

Thanks for the great tips and advice - have definitely noted and will put into practice

Very pretty plant