Asked on May 5, 2017

I have Queen Ann style dining room table.

BerniceCindy HagemannJanet Pizaro


i want to give it a Farmhouse look. Can I just paint over the cherry wood?
5 answers
  • Judy Ferrell
    on May 5, 2017

    check to see if there is shellac or poly on it or it's not a veneer. Lightly sand. Wipe then paint.

  • Bill McFarland
    on May 5, 2017

    And use chalk paint and then the wax that is part of the chalk painting process.
  • Janet Pizaro
    on May 5, 2017

    No,most likely you will have to sand the existing finish off,clean,prime with at least 2 coats pd primer allowing to dry in-between and use a foam brush,paint,and seal with a no-yellowing sealer.You cannot just paint or just apply chalk paint.Your finished product will never hold up.
  • Cindy Hagemann
    on May 5, 2017

    No sanding required with chalk paint and it holds up well! For a real farmhouse style - paint the legs white or off-white, leave the top or sand and refinish the top as wood. You can buy chalk paint at Walmart in the craft section - Waverly makes a great brand that is sold in the craft department. One $6 bottle will be enough to the legs. Here is an example:
  • Bernice
    on May 6, 2017

    There are primers out there to apply first, but yes you can just paint over it. Will it last as long as sanding? No. So it depends on the wear you want.
    Not sure if you've ever heard of If you're going to have to sand anyway, this is a beautiful (outstanding beautiful) stain that comes in natural tones or colours.
Your comment...