Denise
Denise
  • Tutorial Team
  • Mecosta, MI

Dwarf pear tree

Sylvia Candler1240839Shawna Bailey
+1

I have a dwarf pear tree that is approximately 10 years old and it's grown to be about 10' tall with all the pears being in the top. Can I prune it back to about 5' and will it still produce pears?? If so how do I do it and when do I do it??

Pruning should not be done at this time.For fruit bearing trees pruning should be done in late winter or early spring before any new growth emerges.
  • Shawna Bailey

Yes, prune now, but then it will regrow and refruit.
  • 1240839

Has it budded out yet? if not, prune it. If so, leave it until next winter/early spring.
    Check online for best pruning practice for pear trees to get best results.
    Use a ladder to pick if you have to.
  • Sylvia Candler

Before pruning check with your local extension agent with the University of Michigan. Go online and ask your question of them. Their service is free and if they have an agent in your area he may come to your house for free. Please don't cut the top out of your tree without further research first. It will never recover from a brutal haircut like that.