How do you fill in holes left by the old cabinet handles?

Caseyem11Ant21543204Nancy Gramm
+4

I took off the old cabinet handles and they left two big holes that need to be filled in. Can the new handles then be screwed into the old holes once they are filled?
  • Nancy Gramm

I'm assuming your new handles are smaller than the old but regardless you can cover the old holes with backplates, which you can pretty much buy anywhere. Home Depot has them, as does Lowes, or online you can get them from Wayfair or MyKnobs. The one shown was pulled from VanDykes. As to filling and reusing, I'm sure there are woodworkers here who'll chime in about the efficacy of that. Good luck.
    • Margaret

that's sounds like it will work very well thanks! I didnt know about backplates.
  • Caseyem11

you can use wood putty to fill the holes. if you want to use the same holes why do you want to fill them?
    • Margaret

the holes are big and the placement of the new handles will slightly overlap the old holes
  • Ant21543204

Scrape off the paint of a golf tee with the edge of a knife and glue it in the hole then cut off and sand the excess sticking out the hole. A wooden dowel can also be used in the same way.
  • Caseyem11

Makes sense.