Straw Bale Garden - Hay vs. Straw?

+5
I want to do a straw bale garden this year. Can I use old baled hay instead of straw?
  • Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on May 06, 2017
    Not sure what you mean by a "bale garden" (sorry). If this is for decoration Straw is cheaper to buy. Hay is softer (that is what horses etc eat). So if you are looking for a bale to decorate with I would chose straw.
  • Shawna Bailey Shawna Bailey on May 07, 2017
    You should still be able to grow stuff in the baled hay, no problem.
  • Dfm Dfm on May 07, 2017
    A bale garden can be done in either, but straw is a bit better.. a bit less weedish. Remember to condition your bale.
  • K from Connecticut K from Connecticut on May 07, 2017
    I live on a farm and whenever our hay is exposed to water we find that it develops a mold like substance on it. The straw does not.
  • DeniseWarren DeniseWarren on May 07, 2017
    Hmm. We live on a farm too and the wet hay gets dusty. I need to find out if that mold is harmful to seedlings.
  • Liz Liz on May 07, 2017
    Straw is for bedding, Hay is for feed. Hay is fresh and full of seeds. You want aged straw and has begun to degrade.
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on May 07, 2017
    Straw!, hay will give you too many grass/weed sprouts..thats what hay is!..the straw is left over from threshing wheat.
  • Hank Wyllie Hank Wyllie on May 07, 2017
    Pea straw bales are good for gardens. I'm not sure where you could get them from in other countries, but in Australia farmers often sell them cheap at the gate (after picking) or available from some nurseries.