Cindy
Cindy
  • Union Mills, NC

Can I plant my Carrots and Tomatoes in the same planter?

DfmNancy TurnerPeggy Burnette
+4

Yes just make sure the container is large enough.
  • Peggy Burnette

You will probably not have enough room. If you mean planter box, it will be fine, but you won't have enough room in a pot.

• Nancy Turner

The tomato plant roots would probably compete for the same areas that the carrots would grow, unless you plant maybe the real short variety.
  • Dfm

Tomato and carrots are often planted as companion plants. The catch is how big is the planter? I am experimenting with different containers this year. Last year the maters were in grow bags 7gallon size. No room for carrots.

• Cindy

It is a large container. I jsut didn't want the tomatoes to shadow out the carrots.
  • Dfm

I would think you could get 1 batch of new carrots before the tomato canopy get too big.
  • Dfm

the carrots should be ready and eatable before the tomato is mature- use the "baby" type carrots they generally mature the earliest.