Asked on May 6, 2017

Redoing a drop leaf coffee table.



My table is old and the edges are scratched up. The top is formica and the rest is wood. Any ideas for updating on a budget?
5 answers
  • Carol
    on May 7, 2017

    Consider making a mosaic top. You can get different colored tiles, stone or rocks. Lay down a good layer of tile adhesive and arrange your stones , etc down the way you like them. let drive throughly and then once drive you'll want to use a grout which you can get in many colors.
  • Shawna Bailey
    on May 7, 2017

    Oil based paint will cover formica if you give it a light sand.
  • Lynn
    on May 7, 2017

    Chalk paint goes over laminate.
    Also, if you want to do regular paint, there is a primer that goes over laminate, sold at Home Depot. Then you can use regular paint over it.
    Some people use a higher grade contact paper over laminate as well.
    Or have a woodworker cut a new wood top and fit it over the laminate one.
    I have a neighbor who is a woodworker who helps me with some of my projects and in turn, I help him sell his stuff on Craigslist.
  • Kay
    on May 7, 2017

    I would talk to a french polisher, even though, the top is formica not wood, as he will be able to advise you on which way you can go. I defenatly wouldn't advise on a mosaic top, as I assume the legs are pollished wood? Plus it is a drop side table so I don't, know how you would go useing tiles? There is no harm looking into painting the top, but you need to take into consideration the legs. Good luck would love to see some picks if can when you have finnished it. Kay Adelaide Australia
  • Sharon
    on May 11, 2017

    You could also go to your hardware store and buy a sheet of veneer if you would like it all wood. Get the old lino off and off any old adhesive. Make a pattern from the 3 pieces on the top, trace onto your veneer, cut with a coping saw or band saw. Stain to match the rest of the table, glue down and clamp to dry. Might have to fill the edges first if rough, sand and fill. I like a darker contrast edge, use a stain felt marker pen.
Your comment...