Judy Ferrell
Judy Ferrell
  • Kingsport, TN

Help I need to fix plastic pots

CarolSandyGNancy Gramm
+4

How can I fix faded plastic pots so they are pretty again? Must be cheap as I'm on a fixed income.
  • Sherry Case

Hi Judy,
    I can think of several things you can do to pep up your pots! First is spray paint in a bright color you like. It's pretty reasonable in price. Some as low as a dollar per can, if you check the Dollar Store! Or, you could use cloth remnants or wrapping paper to cover them.

Hope this help!
  • Kelly Howard

You can brush some glue over the outside of your pot or some mod podge and press the outside into some clean white sand for a beach look. You can ever cover them with small pebbles. A waterproof glue will work best but if you have a covered porch even white school glue will work fine. I also love to wrap a pot in burlap. It looks farmhouse fresh with a fern in the pot!
  • Jewellmartin

Or check your garage for leftover exterior house paint. Or clean the pots well and Spray with any shiny waterproof coating. They are already faded so you can glue buttons, drip paints down the sides, drip candle wax, decoupage, or use stickers. Mainly, look around and use things you already have. Have fun!

Spray then down with Rustoleum 2X spray paint.
  • Nancy Gramm

My fave finish is from this blog: http://www.villabarnes.com/2012/01/old-world-love.html It's achieved with a base of dark gray overpainted with white gesso. I've done it on plastic pots and on a concrete base table. The hub says mine looks like concrete, which is all right with me. I have to agree hers is much more old-worldly. Regardless, it's something I keep doing. Maybe one day practice will actually make perfect!
  • SandyG

One of the least expensive ways is spray paint. You could also spray paint and after drying attach a stencil and spray paint stencil either matching the color or contrasting. Lots of pretty and inexpensive stencils available. The glass stones from Dollar Tree would be good to attach to the pots. Just make sure to use an adhesive that works for outdoor.
  • Carol

Make sure if you use spray paint that you use one for plastics. This is super important