Balloon-Wrapped Citronella Candle Votives

$5

When I think of summer, I think of entertaining on my deck or patio. I just love eating outside in the warm breeze, don't you? One thing I dislike about it though, are all of those pesky mosquitoes buzzing around ruining my lovely evening! It was time to do something about it! These citronella candles do the trick and keep the pests away, while looking pretty too! These were a blast to create, so be sure to have fun with the process.
balloon wrapped citronella candle votives
SUPPLIES:

- Glass Votives (I used stemless wine glasses)

- Soy Candle Wax

- Balloons

- Long Candle Wicks

- Citronella Essential Oil

- Pencil

- Hot Glue Gun

Step 1) Apply hot glue to the base of your candle wick.

Step 2) Insert the candle wick into the center of the glass votive. Adhere the hot glue to the base.
Step 3) Wrap the extra length of the wick around a pencil. Rest the pencil along the edge of the glass. This will keep it in place before you pour in your hot wax.
Step 4) Melt your soy wax (according to package directions) in a large pot. Be sure to use a pot that is solely for candle-making. Stir as it melts.
Step 5) Once the wax has melted completely, allow it to cool slightly. Add drops of citronella essential oil the melted wax.

*The rule is 50 drops per 1 cup of unmelted wax chips to keep mosquitoes away.
Step 6) Pour your candle wax into the glass votive. Fill it 1/4 - 1/2 full.
Step 7) Let the wax cool and harden for approximately 2 hours.
Step 8) Trim the wick to 1/4" long with scissors.
Step 9) Cut the neck off of a standard size vinyl balloon.
Step 10) Cut a small amount of the tip off of the other end of the balloon.
Step 11) Stretch and slide the balloon onto the bottom half of the glass. This can be tricky, and takes a little patience to get it just right!

Remember, it's not meant to be perfectly straight. A part of the fun is it to be on an angle, off-kilter, etc. Think playful!
Just TRY to get me now mosquitoes! The final product is both fun and functional - two of my favorite things. Now, grab your balloons and give it a try for yourself.

• Patrice

Does the glue melt that's holding the wick when you pour in hot wax?

• Myra
      30 minutes ago

All you need is to get the balloon and glass - add to that small votive candles.

• Deborah

Where do you get the wicks and what type pot do ypu use

• LadyJet1

Ok, the balloon will melt on the glass if the wax gets too hot, won't it? Is this a fire hazard?