Cindy
Cindy
  • East Moline, IL

How do I fix a linen closet door that hits the trim when you open it?

DonpaulinSharonDian
+3

• Kristi Smith Grogan

sand it down on top.
  • Carol

You can also take the door off by its hinges and plane the bottom where any inperfections won't show.
  • Cindy

Thank you guys I will try this
  • Dian

Not sure exactly what it's called but, there's a 'bumper' which is screwed into the baseboard. It's about 3-4 " long. The door bumps into this instead of the trim. There's also a slightly different bumper available. It fits onto the long bolt of the hinge which holds the door in place. Both generally cost around $5.00, and are available almost any place that sells screws.
  • Sharon

Sometimes with older houses, you just need to tighten up the hinge screws. This worked on my front door. Eventually, I did put in a slightly larger screw so it didn't work loose.
  • Donpaulin

As the comments/answers indicate, more info is needed. What is the "trim"? Does it, as at least one other did, when the door swings out it strikes the baseboard on the wall? Probably not, because the lockset would hit the wall first.

Or, is it rubbing against the doorjamb when closing?