What type of fertilizer for Hydrangeas?

IrisDennis RyanNan18559429
+3

I have plants just starting to grow..I want to know what type of fertilizer
to use to make sure a get flowers

How long have they been planted?
  • James Antoine

You don't need to fertilize hydrangeas, you should plant them in a very sunny area and water 2-3 times weekly. They like ascitic soil so mulch with fresh evergreen mulch if possible or ask your garden center for an acid tone mix for evergreens...
    • Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

Actually, hydrangeas like some shade. You're absolutely right about the acidic soil and frequent watering. Depending on where you are, you might need to water them daily, at least until they're well established.
  • Nan18559429

How do you take care of hydrangeas? Do you cut the stems back in fall?? Do you need to prune them?
  • Dennis Ryan

Yes they do better in partial shade than direct sunlight as they have issues with drought. I have some in both areas and the ones in direct sunlight often wilt in summer and have to be babysat by watering often. I don't want the extra work so this spring before they sprout too much more, I am moving one in direct sun to partial shade.
    I use Miracle Grow a couple times in the growing season but none after August. You can also buy supplements that help make them darker blue.
    The older varieties commonly were cut back to about a foot or so above ground as flowers formed on new wood, where now many new varieties blossom on new as well as old wood so leave more of the older stems. One popular one is called "endless summer" as it will continue to blossom until fall, while the older varieties blossom once heavily in mid summer.
    Also all Hydrangers tend to die back some over the winter so DO NOT cut the old wood until spring. In the spring new buds will begin to pop on some stems while others may be completely dead. Cut the dead ones off at the base and the live ones to 1-2 feet up just above the healthy new buds. If you prune them in the fall you won't know which stems are going to winter-kill and have to do additional trimming n the spring anyway.
    Good luck, mine are near the ocean where they do particularly well from the damp evenings.

• Iris

Yes they do like some shade.