Mary Austin
Mary Austin
  • Greenwood, IN

What to plant in a restored 1800's garden?

Janet PizaroMary AustinJohnchip
+5

My home was built in the early 1800's, I'd like to restore the gardens to what they should be. I have a lot of rose's to start with. Any ideas would help.
  • Judy Ferrell

Try going to the library or the local historical society. They should be able to help you find information on what would work and what you can find. A lot of the older varieties of plants no longer exist.

That depends on your location and lighting.
  • Rosemary Danielewicz

Shasta daisies
  • Kcama

coxcomb, petunias,
  • Johnchip

Foxglove comes in many color varieties and makes for a very classic garden look in rows, snapdragons also are in the same family. Bees, Butterflies and Hummingbirds love them.
  • Mary Austin

I have shasty daisies, hosta's pink and purple lilacs, snow ball bush and iris's. When I bought this house, it had shrubs all around the L shaped porch, I took them out and put rose's in. I have alot of sun. I also have bleeding hearts. I have 2 blooming dogwoods, one pink and one white. Thanks for all the help

Foxglove is not a perennial.It comes back in different locations,pretty ,however it will not come back in the same spot so should you decide on planting that keep in mind so that there is no hole.Salvias,Phlox which comes in a lot of beautiful colors,and asiatic lilies.