How can I use old shingles in the garden?

+5
Does anyone have any examples of use of shingles in the garden? We are thinking about using the ones from the porch roof as pathways, but not sure if they can be painted, or cemented, or what should be done with them to make them useful.
  • Shoshana Shoshana on May 07, 2017
    I've seen them used as border trim for raised garden beds!
  • Jeri Walter Jeri Walter on May 08, 2017
    if they are really old shingles... are there any no-no chemicals in the shingles?
  • Treasa Jackson Treasa Jackson on May 08, 2017
    I use new ones under my landscape timber borders. It keeps the soil from rotting the wood so quickly. I
    cut them in half and lay them on the ground so that it is barely obvious under the landscape timber from the outside. Then put the soil over the inside. Adds longevity to the timbers.

• Jennifer Chase Jennifer Chase on May 08, 2017
    I like that idea, but I guess old ones would probably not work for this idea? I was thinking about using them in some of the pathways - like around the garage, which will later have building materials (such as outdoor kitchen or lean-aways.
  • Hol21654597 Hol21654597 on May 08, 2017
    Great weed barrier ( gets hot enough to kill stuff), cover with mulch