Lisa Rydzewski
Lisa Rydzewski
  • Needham, MA

How do you get rid of dandelions in flower beds

Sue LillyTir3678181Iris
+3

• 512181

Buy a long tool specifically to dig dandelions. Or you can carefully spray round up on leaves. https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-41035-Chrome-Plated-Dandelion/dp/B008QYY4PY Dandelions have long tap roots. You have to get the whole root out, or they come back. There is something sort of mindless and satisfying to take a bucket out and dig dandelions. Make sure you dig before they go to seed so you won't have more grow. Dandelions are perennials and come back from the root each year.
  • Nancy Turner

If I don't have time to pull them or spray them I make sure I pull any blooms or buds before they can go to seed and spread, them when I have a little more time I go back and spray them or dig them up if they are in the garden and not the grass. I always dig them up in the garden. One of those weed diggers really do help as long as you get it down far enough. I always have a problem with dandelions, my next door neighbor to the west does not do anything to her yard so it is yellow with them.
  • Iris

I also use the long tool to remove them.

• Tir3678181

You can do the above, or you can pick the young leaves as they emerge in the Spring and eat them. They are a great source of vitamins and minerals and are not bitter if picked young. Just don't eat them if they have been sprayed.
  • Sue Lilly

Stick with sharp object to make hole big enough to pour salt down
    • Ellis

Careful, or salt will prevent other plants from thriving there.