Any suggestions on how to upcycle this old table with reclaimed lumber

Kaye4554290Larry shriver

Here's a photo of my outdoor coffee table. It measures 251/2 by 36. My husband is building a 27 by 41 frame around it. I want to use some old lumber to make a herringbone design then, place it on top of the existing table. I also would welcome some suggestions as to how to best secure it by screwing into the metal frame.
Here is the pattern I came up with. He hasn't cut the edges yet. My problem is that I need some kind of support in the middle. The frame around the table is about 2 inches around. Any suggestions on the centre piece and ways to secure the new tabletop in place? Thanks in advance.
  • Larry shriver

I would use 2 trim-head screws on each side to hold it in place; they are small and wouldn't show up much. Also, I would run another piece of board down the center underneath, wide enough to support the inside end cuts of the herringbone. Whatever thickness you use should also be used on the outer edges to support the top so it doesn't "rock". You might want to consider making the outer perimeter skirt a little wider ( top to bottom ) so that your original frame doesn't show, due to the additional pieces underneath..
  • 4554290

Thank you, Larry. I will pass the info on to my husband.
  • Kaye

Are you sure you don't want to just repaint it? I really like it.