I have a hybiscus bush that's all stems and no leaves!

InetiaJudy

How can I get it to fill out with leaves? It flowers on the tips of the stems.
  • Judy

I would cut the stems down to about 10" each, but do cut them on a angle. Dig out the soil around the bush and put Violet food., and then give them a fresh drink of water. This should be your answer. Perhaps there is something in the soil, that is not boosting the plant to grow. In the fall, if it hasn't grown, then I would move it to a sheltered area, and do the same, dig around it, and add water, then put fresh soil, around it.. I would also pack leaves around it, with a pail over it for winter, for protection. Then, when spring comes, wait til the end of Apr. then uncover very carefully. Do not brush away the leaves, let nature do this, herself, in her timing. Everything will be just fine, ok? Best wishes, J.

• Inetia

If there's no foliage the soil may be nitrogen deficient. Ask a garden center to recommend something to encourage foliage.