Kim
Kim
  • Middletown, OH

Daffodil replanting question

KimDiana DeileySusan
+5

We have several daffodils that need to be moved due to trees and other plants that have overtaken the daffodils' space. I want to remove the daffodils now while I know where they are located. Once dug up, should I replant them immediately or store them and wait until fall?
  • Kathy Lovenburg

After the leaves die, dig up the bulbs, and store in a cool dark place. In the fall then plant the bulbs.

Once the daffodils are finished flowering the the leaves are yellowing you can re-locate the bulbs.
  • Susan

you CAN store them - but why?? just plop them where you want them - it's a good idea to wait til the leaves have died back but you don't have to do that either. Might want to make sure they have a good handful of compost or really good soil on TOP (extra "vitamins"!) to help them settle in happily.
  • Diana Deiley

I don't have a green thumb, but have always had great luck with daffodils. I dug mine up and replanted them with no issues. Good soil and good watering always helps. Best of luck.
  • Kim

Thanks everyone! Good information. Very helpful.