John Boutwell
John Boutwell
  • Hometalker
  • Maynardville, TN
Asked on May 8, 2017

Cheap way?? How do i get rid of the sulfur smell in my well water??

John BoutwellGma KirkRodger Tucker
+4

Answered

I can't afford a system for sure so i need a cheap way to do this for let say under $100.00 or so
7 answers
  • Shoshana
    on May 8, 2017

    Shock chlorination with household bleach will kill odors temporarily and sanitize the well. This involves injecting into the well, pumping the system and piping a 50 to 200 ppm dose of chlorine. The chlorine residual is allowed to sit in the well for 2 to 24 hours, and then the water is pumped out until the chlorine residual is gone. When the odor returns, usually in a couple of days to a couple of weeks, repeat the procedure. Good luck!
  • Bill
    on May 9, 2017

    have you tried a charcoal filter?
  • John Boutwell
    on May 11, 2017

    yes have tried a filter system but it don't work well takes out some but not all. plus those filters are very high priced and I have to change the every month
  • Ken
    on May 15, 2017

    I have dealt with this but only hot water. (Changing to a tankless heater so the water would not dwell in the tank fixed mine.) There really are no cheap fixes for this and I know people who just put up with it because even spending 10x your budget may still leave you with something less than pure clean odor-free water. If you do find something that works long term for under $100, let me know and we will both get rich.
  • Rodger Tucker
    on May 15, 2017

    about a gallon of bleach poured right down.ya might want to verify the amount with your well driller company.
  • Gma Kirk
    on May 15, 2017

    We added a self flushing water filterer when we built our cabin. I know it was more than $100, but it works great and not having to change filters was a definant plus.
  • John Boutwell
    on Jun 2, 2017

    Thanks everybody
    I now have found a way to fix this problem and it only cost me $20.00
    after many many hours searching on the web
    I found out that the smell is a gas that comes from the natural bacteria
    and the only way to get rid of it is to spray the water in the air to allow the gas to escape.
    this is what I did...
    I took a plastic tub I bought at Walmart and got a 1/4 in. tap a line copper tubing set up I tapped into the line going to the house and then put the other end in a 1/4 in. a hole I drilled in the side of the plastic tub
    at the other end of the tub I drilled a 1/2 in. hole and put a 1/2 in. PVC pipe drain pipe and put it back down in the well. this fixed the smell the water filled the tub up to the 1/2 in. drain pipe and gave enough time for the gas to dissipate then I used a swimming pool chlorine floater to hold a chlorine tablet
    to kill and bacteria and this fixed everything for me. and now I have great tasting water smell free too.
    I also checked with the health dept. and they told this was a great idea and they are going to use it for other people with other people that have the same problems

Your comment...