I planted Hydrangeas but I've never gotten a flower!

Joyce DiBenedettiRachelFuz11256015
+2

Over the passed ten years I have planted two different bushes in different areas of the back yard. I have never gotten a flower--just green leaves. At this point I have given up but I would like to know why. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I don't have a green thumb. The only plants that I can keep alive are geraniums and pointsettias.
  • FRED RIGGS

We tried to kill ours that the aphids were eating and could not get rid of them, so we tried killing the bush. We cut down every branch to the ground leaving the stump. we poured gasoline on it, about 3 gallons I guess and left it. In the spring, it started blooming again and we have white snowballs on it. Suggestion, don't try that, your's may not recover.
  • Kathy

We had the same problem. We live in zone 6 and have cold winters. The hydrangea variety "Endless Summer" is formulated for colder climates. We bought it at our local garden store and it blooms every year!
  • Fuz11256015

Hydrangeas flower on old growth. If you trim them back, do so right after flowering. Any later than that and you will risk not having flowers the next year.
    A green thumb is not a necessity, just a nice perk if you have one!!
  • Rachel

Do a soil test. I hade to add some nutrients into our soil and then had lots of blooms.
  • Joyce DiBenedetti

I love my Hydrangeas. I have 3 bushes that were given to me for 3 different Easters. Plant them in full sun and keep them watered. They like an acid soil for blue or purple flowers. I always cut back my bush in the fall after the flowers start to die off. Good luck with yours.