Need help choosing veggies to grow on my south facing balcony!

Gma KirkDena RobertsNancy Turner
+3

This will be my first summer in an apartment! I've always had my own veggie garden and would love to have one on my balcony. Any ideas for garden boxes and types of veggies? The balcony gets full sun and is about 15 feet long by 7 feet wide. We're on the 3rd floor, so I have to be mindful of the water runoff below! Thanks for your help!
  • Emmen

Any vegetables will grow fantastic because you're south facing, you get the best sun for growing. Lee Valley Tools and Costco sell VegTrug planters, look them up there are various sizes and the one size comes with a top for cold weather. This is what I'm getting once my deck is complete for vegetables and herbs. Good luck!
  • Aaron

You can try a vertical pallet herb garden! All you need is a large wood pallet, garden fabric, nails, hammer, some extra pieces of pallet planks, and a few more simple materials. Don't forget the potting soil and the herbs you want to grow. This is great for saving space on your balcony too.

Here is the link for a step by step guide:

You can plant your vegetables in five gallon containers with drainage holes.
  • Nancy Turner

You can plant any veggie you want as long as you allow a large enough container for the plants mature size. Herbs grow well in any size pot or plant a couple window type planter with multiple herbs in each. You can grow climbers if you put up some kind of trellis to let them go up. You can probably use window boxes for things like lettuce and plant multiple types or the same type in each. Figure out what you want and where you want to put it and have fun! You can make working with the larger pots easier by investing in putting them on wheels so you can move them around without breaking your back. Just make sure you get the size needed for the pots. I went to that last year and automatically get them when I get a new large pot. You can find them at home improvement stores and even Walmart, they go from cheap to expensive and fancy. Make sure you have drainage holes drilled in them or they will hold a lot of water and cause problems. The same with the large pots, most of them don't come with the holes already in them, but have little circles where you can drill a hole.
  • Dena Roberts

Love the idea of wheels! Lots of great ideas! Thank you, everyone 🤗
  • Gma Kirk

Sweet potatoes are great! They make a beautiful vine you can drape around your railings. you can grow in a container like this: https://snapguide.com/guides/make-your-own-potato-pots-for-easy-harvesting/