Gwen Lantagne
Gwen Lantagne
  • Elkton, MD

I need a Weed solution for my garden

Gwen LantagneJust peachyGma Kirk
+6

I have a vegetable garden approx. 20x15ft
I've tried a lot of things to stop weeds plastic,garden cloth,newspaper,mulch,weed killer along with pulling weeds by hand.
Nothing works. Our property was a very rich horse pasture for years before.
Remedies???
  • Shoshana

How about giving the garden a season off and treating with a solar tarp? This super effective method involves laying a plastic tarp over the soil and allowing the ground to heat up and cook in the summer heat. Water the soil the night before you apply the tarp. The water will heat up the soil along with the plastic and choke out and kill the weeds. If you leave it on for 4-6 weeks you'll be amazed by the results once you start planting again.
  • Nancy Turner

I use a weed preventer early in the spring. It does not take care of anything that spreads by roots. Those you have to trace back to the edges of the garden and kill the whole string. I always fight them around the edges of the garden. I also have trouble with dandelions, but that is because my neighbor doesn't treat anything in her yard.
  • Julie Crochet Routley

white cider vinegar ,,its works wonders honest xx
  • Gma Kirk

Lay cardboard on all the unplanted areas and then cover that w mulch. End of season, cover the whole plot with cardboard, and mulch again, and let sit till spring. Only uncover where you plant in the spring. The cardboard eventually breaks down but smothers weeds for quit a while.
  • Just peachy

I use cardboard over my trouble areas. I lay it down and then cover it with mulch. The trick of this method is you can only cover it with new fresh mulch. Otherwise you'll just spread the weed seeds on top of the mulch. I fight with crabgrass/Johnson grass every spring. That's a weed that can spew a ridiculous amount of seeds. If you fight the battle like I do, I would try the tarp method and then apply cardboard. Good luck!
  • Gwen Lantagne

TY