What flowers to plant? My son wants to save the bees

Linda Tocci LourenzoNancy TurnerJanet Pizaro
+2

He wants wild flowers and bulbs, will this matter? As we have a small bricked planter two by seven.
  • Caseyem11

black eyed Susan is a good plant with a profusion of blooms that does not require a lot of water. Plant it with blue salvia, lavender or Russian sage. Zinnias come in many colors and attract bees. Need I say beebalm (monarda) which comes in various shades of red? Also coneflowers.
  • Caseyem11

beebalm, black eyed susan, zinnias and coneflower offer colorful bee attractors.
  • Nancy Turner

Bees will go to what is available no matter the size of the garden, so size only matters as to what you can fit in to the space you have. Kudos to your son for wanting to help save the bees. Have him help you prepare, plant and care for bee garden and you will probably have a plant lover for life. try to make it enjoyable. I got my start pulling weeds out of my Moms flower garden. Once I had my own back yard the first thing I did was plant a vegetable garden and I have enjoyed my time in the gardens no matter the size.
  • Linda Tocci Lourenzo

Try bee balm (bergamot). It smells good and has flowers. Bees love it. I plasnt it in the garden away from the house