Why are the leafs on my hibiscus turning yellow?!

VickiCDanielle OdinDana Baier
+3

I have had hibiscus plants for years. This year has been the first time the leafs on one of the plants is turning yellow! I have fertilized them, and they get plenty of water, but I have NO idea whats up with the yellow leafs. The plant is still producing lots of gorgeous flowers, but for some reason the leafs are yellowing! Any ideas?!

It could be an insect infestation or a fungus.
  • VickiC

Dont see any insects, I keep those pretty well at bay with spray. I dont know about fungus, as not all the leafs are affected. Plus, there are 3 other hibiscus within a 3 ft radius, so I think if it was a fungus, all the plants would have it?! Just this one plant has the yellow leafs. Its very strange!
  • Daylynn

Does the leaves have bumps on them? They almost look like warts?
  • Dana Baier

Could be they are getting TOO much water. I have find that Hibiscus are pretty hardy & they have survived our very hot, drought plagued California summers for the last couple of years with very little watering.
  • Danielle Odin

When I lived in So Cal, there was a big hibiscus bush on the property and it started to die. Found that it had a fungus and that several hibiscus had the same thing in the neighborhood. They had to be cut down t the ground. I moved soon after and never followed up on what happened after. This was a good 25 years ago.
  • VickiC

I'm fairly sure this isnt a fungus, the leafs are fine other than being yellow, and the flowers are gorgeous. When other flowers/plants get a fungus, the entire plant looks horrible and the leafs are nasty looking along with the flowers. I think what happened is it got over watered by mistake!!!