How to start a perennial flower garden inexpensively?

DfmCori WidenShelly Surber Heinbuch
+3

What is the best way to get a soil analysis for a garden. ALSO How can you set up a perennial plant swap so it decreases the cost but increases the flowers in your garden?
  • Suzanne

I purchased a soil kit from the dollar store.
  • Bettie Gordon

Hi Norma-the soil kit is a great suggestion and your local garden store may also test the soil for you. I would also suggest that you find friends and neighbors willing to share their perennials and go to your local home stores and pick up some when they are on sale or marked down. Some are priced low to begin with.
    Happy planting
  • 512181

I always say you are not a truly great gardener until you know how to get plants for free! Make friends with people that have perennial gardens so they can share plants. Sometimes Craigslist listers will offer plants for free. Look up lasagna gardening to improve your soil. http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/lasagna-gardening-zmaz99amztak
  • Shelly Surber Heinbuch

I went to Walmart and saw the amount of half dead plants they had. I spoke to the manager and walked out of there with my car completely loaded front to trunk. Everything lived, I cut back all the dead and planted using miracle grow and my back yard looks fabulous and it was free!!
  • Cori Widen

You can get a soil kit at Home Depot!
  • Dfm

finding a kit is the easy part- interpreting the results can be tricky. as above check with your neighbors- what plants of theirs do you like- and if you help divide them and assist to replant their bed i bet you could get payed with plants.