Doreen
Doreen
  • Farmersville, TX

We want to make a fairy garden for our grandkids! We are NOT crafty!

Garden Up Green - CaroleBernice Clore-WanserPatricia
+5

We live in the country so we have the space but need easy ideas that don't require crafty or woodworkin!

YOU CAN DO IT! ALL IT TAKES IS SOME IMAGINATION. YOU WILL SURPRISE YOURSELF AND AMAZE YOUR GRANDKIDS!

• Crystal

You can purchase fairy houses on line there already made or you can buy them at your local arts or garden store., have your grandkids paint some small rocks so they can make trails for the fairys to find there house. What I did with my children after we made our fairy garden once a week I would sprinkle glitter around the fairy houses and I told my kids that it was fairy dust from the fairys wings! We always have a blast in the fairy garden. My kids got into such a habit of checking the fairy garden that sometimes the fairys left small gifts candies exc an little notes. The possibilities are end list
  • Debra Edds

use parts of an old doll house and let the children help
  • Justme

Craft and fabric stores carry doors and windows, small rocks for pathways etc
  • Kathy Lukehart Cadiou

I've been in love with fairy gardens for many years. I mostly get my items at the craft stores, ie Pat Catans and Michaels... but recently even the dollar stores are carrying really cute fairy houses and even plastic plants to group with the little houses and people. The garden centers , such as Petites have a vast selection of houses and furnishings and minis to make a truly fantastic little display. I recently saw somewhere, where a gal used the saucer (that catches the water under a plant pot) and then made her little fairy scene in there. Here's a picture of a "saucer" party
  • Patricia

That sounds like so much fun! Try shopping the thrift stores to find inexpensive odds and ends that can be re-purposed into your fairy garden. Such as a broken tea cup or a birdhouse. I sure hope you post your project here on Hometalk as I would love to see what you come up with!
  • Bernice Clore-Wanser

I've made quite a few fairy gardens already. You can make them on an old tree stump or in a old baking tin or even purchasing a birdhouse at the craft store. I have also found many accessories at thrift stores. Think of jewelry that you can take apart for pictures inside the house or Mother's Day or birthday or any holiday knickknack that can be broken apart and used as pieces to decorate with.

Ive also used toys as miniatures too for furniture, etc. again check the thrift stores.
  • Garden Up Green - Carole

Well you may have an old wheel barrow - use this as your base and fill it with dirt, mulch, or even crushed gravel. Use terra cotta pots for the plants you want to incorporate or just plant directly in the wheel barrow. Add fairy details I recently saw some nice ones at Home Depot and then find fun things like sticks, pine cones ( may have to go on a nature walk) to incorporate. Let the imagination run free. You don't have to be crafty or build to have fun!